Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contrail Requirements Keep Canadians On E.i

Bladethrow,

Companies have to comply with all of the requirements of the Labour Code regardless of whether the person is Canadian or on a work visa. As you probably already know, the Government has changed policies regarding foreign workers and it depends on feedback from industry. There is a matrix on the Goverment of Canada web site listing what professions fall under visa elegibility. There are also 2 levels of work visa's and even more options for foreigners that apply for landed immigrant status. The same deals are available to Canadians when applying for foreign work.

Regardless, this ***** has been going on it the industry for many years and even some of those who did the bitching way back are the managers of companies looking for qualified people and have to look to visa holders to satisfy operational requirements.

Lets get back to the Contrail thread..........................

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bladethrow!

get over it mate us foreigners are not taking any jobs from canadians!

I have been in the industry 10 years my self and I fly in Canada now, and let me tell you its not for a bargain rate! if anything its a higher one, ididnt come here to drive wages down there is enough of that crap goign on back home, so why dont you drop the whinging about foriegners and do some #### work !

OLD Bull

Well I am sure you are not charging bargain rates,but the problem is not limited to one pilot, there are way to may "opportunities" that are being taken away from canadians due to the ease of hiring a foreigner and dirt cheap wages.

I understand that it may be difficult or unfashionable to point out the obvious for fear or being austrisized or worse yet fired. I have nothing to loose and therefore don't care who's toes I tred on.

Next time you are looking for a Canadian Pilot that can do the exact same job then let me know. I will steer you to a competant, safe , professional Canadian looking for full time work. Not contract ( with no written contract ,or part time or seasonal)

The corporation always manipulates or tries to avoid potential labour conflicts, I cannot tell you how many guys I know who get the call into the Chiefs office - layed off and given any one of many typical fibs- " like we had a customer complaint _ with no documented proof" or another miraid of excuses. The attactivness of hiring a work permit holder is that there are few complaints and a defined term of employment is clear cause for the most part the person believes that he's been given a really big break or priveledge.

It's called at will employment and it creats an industry of insecurity, poor moral. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hire a low timer and provide a secure life time job due to a real shortage of Canadians. Instead the Industry creates a mirage and sais there are no competative Canadians- ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

Just the facts.

Well sir, perhpas you will remember that I said "F/W and R/W". Add up all the F/W and R/W schools in Canada and then see if you or anyone else thinks that those number of "seats" will become available over the next two years. You've taken an "extreme" position on my post and did not understand the "spirit" of it. I see no reason whatsoever for ALL schools to close their doors Canadawide. People are needed and always will be, BUT not at the numbers that both F/W and R/W are sending "down the chute". If there are 50-70 new postions available each year, then why produce 200 graduates? Why the total "disconnect" with the industry that they are attempting to serve?

The post was intended "tongue in cheek". I thought the extremity of it was an indicator. Sorry.

Leaving the F/W schools out of the equation... I have a couple of questions....

How are the schools to determine how many new pilots are to be needed for the near future? Then, how are they to determine from all the people who want to become new pilots, the ones that should be allowed to join our hallowed ranks?

RH1

RTHD

There is no process, it's driven by profit, with no consideration or industry outlook, analysis or otherwise.

The dreaded word "UNION" or some other oversight or professional organization other than HAC(owners club) is absolutely required in order to bring balance to the industry, not just in terms of wages but controls over hiring excessive amounts of foriegners. Such a body could provide dispute resolution, put an end to at will employment practices, cause Canadians won't be treated like crap and underpaid.

Last time I checked anyway.

Anyway I am happy I am OUT of the helicopter industry. A industry guided by drawbridge mentality.

Like to check in time to time to see, get a good laugh and look to see if there have been improvements or change.

Out.

Bladethrow,

So angry I can almost feel a tear coming on......nope dried up on the cheek.

Kidding aside, I wouldn't necessarily agree with your point of view but everyone is entitled to their opinon. Maybe you just needed this cooling off period because you sound quite passionate about the industry. I hope the aviation bug gets his claws back into and drags you back because this industry needs people that speak their mind.

See you in a year or two! :punk:

Why is it that people who get fed up and leave the RW industry still come on to this site and rant. You couldn't hack it, you probably pissed everyone off when you where flying by lack of professionalism and/or talent. Hopefully a low timer with a good attitude climbed into your seat when you left. I for one love my job and feel I earn a decent wage for my hours, experience and endorsements. The company I work for is also top shelf and have never screwed me.

As for this Contrail/Consultant rant. I've met and flown around some of their staff. The ones I have met are all professionals and all ex-pilots themselves. You will all probably admit that there had to be something done to bring the accident numbers down. Helicopters were falling out of the sky at alarming rates in the patch!!! Most of the drivers were low timers. Now i agree that 1500 hours is high. The solution i think is approved initial training programs. Similar to mountain course certification. When i was starting out i remember the chief pilot teaching me to fly circles around a lease site to get out over weight. Training like that can only lead to accidents.

Anyhow, my two cents again, and always open for debate

SM

Skidmark - you're right, there does need to be some sort of certification and I am in close consultation with underwriters right now, which is part of the reason why I've been in UK this long - that's where they work! I already have approval to develop a helicopter safety course and they will reduce the insurance premiums by more than the cost of the course. The last question they asked me was how to cope with a guy with 200 hours who had just bought a 109 - is it any wonder they are confused? Without consultants they have no way of gauging expertise other than hours.

The problem with consultants is that they often have very little credibility - just because someone is a pilot (or a doctor or a lawyer), doesn't mean to say they know what they are doing! One guy who came to inspect us (in Calgary) ran out of fuel in flight in an Alouette (or it may have been a lama) and another fell off the end of a runway in a fixed wing then got them to extend it because he said it was too short, neglecting to tell them that he started the takeoff roll from the middle. That's why there is a runway in N Alberta where you can't actually get to the end without driving on to the runway, since there is no road ;)

Over here there is a properly regulated organisation and it works quite well.

If any of you have any suggestions as to what might be on such a course, please either PM me or start another thread, or we'll get blasted for going off topic!

With reference to flying schools - well, they're in business to make money. As far as I am concerned, as long as they don't tell lies about the job prospects, if someone comes up and says "train me as a pilot", why should they turn them away? That sort of problem is not restricted to aviation - there are too many lawyers as well! Ever tried being a low time lawyer? You get treated (and paid) a lot worse than a low time pilot! granted, the long term prospects are a lot better, though.

Phil

British Association of Aviation Consultants

Skidmark ---

1) Just because someone has played in the NHL doesn't mean that they know anything about coaching in that league. So I've been in aviation for 40+ years and got more hours idling F/W and R/W then a lot do PIC. Sorry, but that doesn't automatically qualify me for anything in aviation except a couple handshakes on the last day of my career.....maybe.

2) 1500 hours is not needed to fly around on a gas field. If it is, I would like someone....anyone....to explain to me why.

3) CP's are needed to keep an Operating Certificate valid and it is not necessarily indicative that they are the CP because they are the most qualified for said position. Your story once again, confirms the history on that item.

4) Sometimes a good kick in the arse is all that is needed to prevent accidents.......and I mean "literally".....not "figuratively".

Quote:Skidmark

"Why is it that people who get fed up and leave the RW industry still come on to this site and rant. You couldn't hack it, you probably pissed everyone off when you where flying by lack of professionalism and/or talent."

Skidmark, It's not always the fault of the person for leaving the industry, in my case it has to do with friken abuse,underhandedness, and yes crappy wages driven by an incredible amount of Aussies and Kiwis that are taking the opportunities for crap wages and if you don't believe me here is a copy of a PM I recieved (name removed for privacy).

"Right on. You hit it on the nail. I see this going on all the time. Its kind of bull$hit to see how they go about getting these jobs too. they go around and sell their bodys to operators and make it as if the operator was looking for them in particular. Then they fly down to Vancouver and go across the Us border and re-enter Canada as if its there first time coming here. Complete #### abuse of our custom laws. These guys should all be exposed to Canada immigration."

And Amodao

Thanks for the input, Unfortunately speaking my mind has on occaision gotte me in trouble, but I just cannot take on the industry accepted drawbridge mentality, and just agree that everything is dandy, when it is not. The industry needs alot of help so that some of the underhanded employment tactics and crappy pay are dealt with. Any how good luck in the snake pit.

BT