Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R-22 Training Crash

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, so far so good. Am now at the magic halfway point! Yup DR Crash is now at 50 hours! Only another 50 and I will be out scouring the planet for that first job. Chief Pilots tell me how you like your coffee and what kind of donuts to bring (beer and pizza also available on 2nd interview).

I can hardly wait!

Well, so far so good. Am now at the magic halfway point! Yup DR Crash is now at 50 hours! Only another 50 and I will be out scouring the planet for that first job. Chief Pilots tell me how you like your coffee and what kind of donuts to bring (beer and pizza also available on 2nd interview).

Coffee, hot, black

Beer, hefiweise(sp) (german)

Pizza, large, thin crust deluxe.

:up: :punk: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Morning folks.

I was going to post yesterday but was a little busy and all. I'm the student mentioned.

We were both able to walk away so, yes I guess this counts as a good landing.

Here's what happened. After a short flight we were practicing hovering. After a few minutes of this the instructor was demonstrating/teaching loss of power in the hover. We had done this the day before as well. I gave too much left cyclic and the instructor was unable to correct me with enough force / in time. In the literal blink of an eye we were on our left side. The instructor took the brunt of the impact sitting in the left seat. We crawled out the right door, turned off the ELT and walked the couple hundred feet back to the hanger to start making phone calls.

I can't say enough about my instructors demeanor. Calm throughout. Amazing.

Here's my question to the community.

It's hard enough for a new guy to get a job in this business. Would anyone hire a guy with a dynamic rollover to his credit on hour 6 of training? Or should I seriously think about cutting my losses? Both myself and my instructor are willing to keep going with my training. ( have to get back on the horse right? )

I appreciate any input

Rotorhead Wannabe aka D.R. Crash

Don't sweat it. At 6 hours you are not responsible. I've known some very good instructors who have been on board for roll-overs, some more than once with experienced licenced trainees. (No names, no pack drill) As you know, it happens so fast that it takes much luck and skill to save the situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

The once thought impossible has come to pass. Yesterday was the written test and this morning the flight test with respectable scores on each. 15 more hours and I will officially join the ranks of the low time vagabond unemployed pilots union! (hmmm... that could use a catch acronym but it's just not coming to me)

I can't think of a fraternity that I would rather join right now! :up:

RW