Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R-22 Training Crash

Ryan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the support guys!

I've talked with my instructor and he thinks we should be back up and running in a couple of weeks. Albeit with a rented machine and a rented instructor :blink: . That will have to do until the original instructor is through his refit.

Until then, it is days and days of AIP and CAR and nights and nights of flight sim... I think I will do some practice there where it is a little cheaper (and safer).

Feeling better, ready for some airtime :up:

RW

Grass or pavement it doesn't much matter, but it should be flat. The important thing to remember is to center cyclic and fully reduce collective pitch after completing the hovering auto landing, cut - pause - pull - collective down!

Sliding isn't the cause of a dynamic rollover, and cannot be corrected with cyclic force. Here the student stated, "I gave too much left cyclic and the instructor was unable to correct me with enough force / in time."

Properly executed the hoving auto becomes a perfect landing. Hopefully you will have many.

Generally speaking a prospective pilot should be taught to hover before being taught hovering autorotations.

I don't think you can ever introduce any autorotations too early in a pilot's training. I always included one as a demo manoeuvre from the first lesson onwards to remove any mystique and anxiety about them. When they actually got to do one for themselves is another issue but certainly before first solo they would have seen and done many. Its a basic survival skill after all.

RW, its already been said by others but I too appreciate you providing the details of the accident so we can all learn from it...and of course remove any speculation. I'm sure there will be a few instructors out there reading your comments who will subconsciously follow through a little closer on the controls with their students for a while. Based on what you said it sounds like you have a solid and calm individual for an instructor. Count yourself lucky and hang on to him.

As for your employability...I think you could bring the pictures to an interview and it wouldn't have a negative impact as this was simply a training accident. (BTW, I'm being facetious about the pictures...pls don't bring them to your first meeting with the Chief Pilot because I said it was OK :unsure: ).

Get back in the cockpit as soon as you can. :up: