Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R-22 Training Crash

Ryan

It might be different in the R22 but when I was training (Bell 47), my instructor (Keith McMillan) always had me apply slight forward cyclic pressure during hovering auto's so if you are moving anywhere but straight down at least with a little forward motion you have less chance of a roll over.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

:up: That would be true, in training at least - but once our friend has learned to fly, he will find them as easy as pie ... real ones rarely happen that way anyway and it's all about control and confidence! What interests me more is the pedal jam procedure. So you're barreling down the tarmac on skids at 10 Knots going straight (having touched down) - what then?

(Personally in real life I would progressively slow the ship down in the shallowest possible decent to a crosswind heading 2 or three feet agl while planning for a controlled throttle roll-off resulting in an into wind landing at zero groundspeed - preferrably on the flat grass in the infield which could help absorb the shock of any small errors I may have made) :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am impressed.  Your forth right explanation of the event is commendable.  Character is far more important an indication of someones future in this business and you have shown a hi level of integrity with this post.

When you fly with an instructor at this stage of your training he is responable for all. I know you rinstructor very well and I know he would agree with this.  It was his fubar not yours. Don't let this mishap turn you off the biz.  Back in the saddle.

You lucky guy. You got yours out of the way in the first week. No one was hurt and you had an excellent demonstration of how quickly things can go to worms in a helicopter.

Fly on dude!!! :up: :up: :up:

Firstly, I'm glad both are ok and are going to get back in the seat.

Secondly, the job of the instructor is not one to be envied....of which many of you don't, based on the amount of instructors available in Canada. This isn't a dig at any one reading this, more of a comment on the fact that many pilots who fly don't want to give the controls to people who can't fly.

The majority of flight training for instructors is based around teaching the student every type of emergency procedure nearly every day, whether the student has six hours or sixty hours. Every day the instructor is giving the controls to someone who trys to improve his skill. Most pilots only get this training once every year once they have qualified. You can argue whether it should be done on grass or tarmac, whether full on autos should be done or not, or any such arguement, but the individual training of any student is upto the instructor and what he/she believes to be the best course of action for that flight.

I'm not going to get personal, we all share the same sky, but to be critical of the foundations of a persons career without being supportive in intent shows a disregard or even a disrespect of the job that instructors do in this country.

Unfortunately I don't get your point my friend and I wonder if you might be on something. The fact is there are many pilots who I wouldn't fly with unless there were dual controls in the aircraft. (even some high timers) Mostly because of the fact that at even at the end of their training they can barely fly because of bad habits picked up along the way. Moreover, giving up the controls to someone who "can't fly" is suicidal to say the least.

Disrespect? You bet, if that's what it takes - Perhaps you should turn your attention to the disregard some in this forum show towards the operator and the unnecessary losses that were incurred. ( "You lucky guy. You got yours out of the way in the first week") etc.

<_<

Unfortunately I don't get your point my friend and I wonder if you might be on something.  The fact is there are many pilots who I wouldn't fly with unless there were dual controls in the aircraft. (even some high timers)  Mostly because of the fact that at even at the end of their training they can barely fly because of bad habits picked up along the way.  Moreover,  giving up the controls to someone who "can't fly" is suicidal to say the least. 

<_<

I don't know there Raqattack - If I were you I would inform the pilot of your obvious plan to take control when their flying does not meet your high standards - otherwise you may find yourself wearing a fire extinguisher instead of a headset! :wacko: This is especially true if the person concerned does not share the opinion that you are the better pilot. :D

I don't know there Raqattack - If I were you I would inform the pilot of your obvious plan to take control when their flying does not meet your high standards - otherwise you may find yourself wearing a fire extinguisher instead of a headset!  :wacko: This is especially true if the person concerned does not share the opinion that you are the better pilot. :D

Unfortunately I don't get your point my friend and I wonder if you might be on something.  The fact is there are many pilots who I wouldn't fly with unless there were dual controls in the aircraft. (even some high timers)  Mostly because of the fact that at even at the end of their training they can barely fly because of bad habits picked up along the way.  Moreover,  giving up the controls to someone who "can't fly" is suicidal to say the least. 

Disrespect? You bet,  if that's what it takes  -  Perhaps you should turn your attention to the disregard some in this forum show towards the operator and the unnecessary losses that were incurred. ( "You lucky guy. You got yours out of the way in the first week")  etc.

<_<

Well aint that too bad. here we were havng a nice little love in and trying to encourage a kid that needed a little encouragement and along comes dinkattack. What a shame. Why don't you go start your own web page. Negative Nitwitz would be a good name.

OK Kyle sorry. But this guy is too much! :down: :down: :down: