R-22 Training Crash

Ryan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of pics of how NOT to park. post-33-1156801756_thumb.jpgpost-824-1156804120_thumb.gifpost-49-1137889037_thumb.jpgpost-33-1156841592_thumb.jpeg

My appologies to all the operators out there for pushing the insurance rates in the wrong direction.

On a side note, the student has fresh clean undies and is ready to fly again. The instructor is healing nicely and should have full movement in both arms in a month or so. At which point the student will surely be given the appropriate beating.

RW aka DR Crash

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the lease machine is in the air and wrote off bird has been stripped down to a shell. I've been up for 1.9 since the wreck and I gotta admit the pucker factor is running pretty high :shock: . A little disconcerting when you can look down in a hover (I know keep your eyes out) and see the huge divots in the turf from the last time you were there. I think I'm making progress but my entire mindset seems to have changed. Before while in a hover if you started moving around a bit quickly, or while in a turn if the wind catches you and makes the turn steeper it was fun. The smile got bigger even while the hands and feet moved faster to correct. Now, when that happens it makes me pretty **** nervous.

Here's my question. I'm sure a few people out here have had a wreck or two. How long before things go back to being fun again? I know it's the first week and I am NOT throwing in the towel.

RW aka DR Crash

Here's my question. I'm sure a few people out here have had a wreck or two. How long before things go back to being fun again? I know it's the first week and I am NOT throwing in the towel.

RW aka DR Crash

RW......donn't be to hard on yourself. Your post accident reaction is a very normal response to what you went through. "Time" is required to get back on track, and that is all a little different for each of us. Your outlook and common sense approach, along with the guidance from your instructor, is the key. Have confidence and faith in what you are doing....what you experienced is just another learning curve in life.....Fly on Dude.... :up:

I agree with HL56, this is a good response. I'd be more worried if you'd brushed this thing off without a second thought.

This is the good byproduct of experience. Anyone who's had a close one, or bent one, gains a bit more respect which may appear to be "gunshy" for the first while.

Don't worry about how long it will be. Just focus on your training and before you know it, you'll be solo.

RH1

my entire mindset seems to have changed. Before while in a hover if you started moving around a bit quickly, or while in a turn if the wind catches you and makes the turn steeper it was fun. The smile got bigger even while the hands and feet moved faster to correct. Now, when that happens it makes me pretty **** nervous.

RW aka DR Crash

I think your nerves are serving you well by changing your mindset. After having a mechanical failure early in my flying career which resulted in substantial damage to my underwear, significant damage to the a/c as well as law suits between insurance companies, engine shops and parts brokers that went on for four years, it changed how I viewed flying. It is not a video game. The consequences of 'having thy ground rise up and smite thee' are serious, real and large. For me personally, flying is enjoyable but your experiance should be taken as a lesson...fate is a hunter and helicopter pilots can be easy targets.