Bell 210 Not Approved For External Load

“The Bell 210 is the perfect solution for the many agencies that need a medium utility helicopter such as Homeland Security, law enforcement or firefighting, “  declared Mr. Redenbaugh.

“It combines great performance with an existing logistical and support base which customers consistently rate Number One in the industry, unbeatable Direct Operating Costs and a tremendously low initial acquisition cost.  Add to that complete FAA certification and the Bell 210 is truly the best total value proposition to be found in the market today,” Mr. Redenbaugh explained.

In addition to its appeal for commercial applications, the Bell 210 helicopter also satisfies the US Army's requirement for a Light Utility Helicopter (LUH). There are many missions now supported by the Army with assets that are marked for replacement in the LUH program that the Bell 210 could more economically perform.  These Army Light Utility Helicopters would perform future utility missions for non-combat organizations (TDA), National Guard utility, drug interdiction efforts (RAID), MEDEVAC, and Homeland Defense (HLD) missions.

:huh:

:huh:

http://www.helicoptermonthly.com/newsdetai...12&CategoryID=6

November 1, 2004

Bell's Not Done

HM Staff

Oh, by the way, remember that article way back when where I stated that if the Bell 210 doesn't win the Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) award that is also pending from the US Army, I'd eat my keyboard? Well, I'm doubling down and stating that if they don't win it, I'll eat two keyboards!

We got a peek at some of the specs and pricing for the retrofit of the venerable UH-1H Huey into the Bell 210 and are more than impressed with both the improvement in performance as well as the (relatively) low price tag for the job.

Double-digit percentage improvements in both external and internal gross weights, a 40% decrease in direct operating costs and a brand new, FAA certified, zero time aircraft in 8 months and costing under $3 million. If the actual performance and price comes anywhere close to matching the marketing numbers, we think that a lot of folks that bought old Huey's to rebuild will be calling to get their aircraft in line for this retrofit.

Aircraft often get certificated "partially". For example, if memory serves, the Puma didn't get certified for flight in known icing conditions for quite awhile after it came into service. This places limits on what the a/c can do, but at least the manufacturer can start delivering the a/c to their clients. I'm not sure how the amendment process works exactly though...

That's right. Sometimes, additional capabilities take time to be added to the aircraft.

But, these details are usually noted in press publications..

In this situation, it would be like the Puma was first certificated to carry crew only, no passengers..

What is an operator going to do with a utility ship that cannot carry external loads?

rotormatic-------the "conversion" has no such restriction on it about carrying external loads. This I know because I've flown one of the 4 that exist on this continent......2 in Canada and 2 in the States. Rest assured that for $3.8M USD, Bell will definitely see to it that their product will be certified to carry external loads. Some things don't happen as quickly as one might think and Skidz is exactly correct about the Puma. Give them a break, give them a chance and believe me sir.........that "mother" can haul *** and the 212 crowd had best be a tad nervous when in it's vacinity. At least Eagle Copters must agree with that because they are buying 212's to convert to 210's and they are in the process of rolling one "off the line" early in the New Year. There may even be some on this site who already know who gets delivery of that first one.

Cap...

1. This is not a conversion. This is a term that is traditionally associated with an STC project... ie.. the Bell 205 A1 ++ or a Soloy 47... So far the "conversion" as you call it cannot do external loads..... Look at the current TC for the aircraft.

Bell revised the TC to add the 210 to an existing certificate....

2. The type of operations of the aircraft are defined in the type certifcate, and the flight manual of the aircraft.

3.The issue is marketing....

Bell needs to let people know the external load approval is pending......

I feel sorry for the people that have the first positions on the aircraft...

They did not get what they paid for.....