Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Interesting article to consider before contract negotiations...

4 hours ago, UggaDugga said:

"There is only one position that matters when it comes to what we do, and that is the ability to fly the aircraft. Whether you have clinicians in the back, it doesn't matter if you can't get them there."

In case any engineers get the idea that they deserve a raise during this shortage 🤣

Ouch, that hurt me right in the spanners. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, twinstar_ca said:

12 licences issued for 2022... i saw the news article and tv spot... 😵

According to figures provided to CBC News, Transport Canada issued 62 helicopter pilot licences in 2012. But in 2022, that number dropped by 80 per cent to just 12.” 

I find it hard to believe that only 12 students completed the CPLH in 2022, really??? Wouldn’t we see a lot of flight schools shutting down if that was the case? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigD said:

According to figures provided to CBC News, Transport Canada issued 62 helicopter pilot licences in 2012. But in 2022, that number dropped by 80 per cent to just 12.” 

I find it hard to believe that only 12 students completed the CPLH in 2022, really??? Wouldn’t we see a lot of flight schools shutting down if that was the case? 

I thought that as well.... 

• Like 1

I have no way to back this up, but my understanding is those stats for licencing are directly related to the processing of medicals. I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't received a $55 processing fee from Transport Canada since before, dare I say it, the "C" word. That could be an explanation as to why the stats seem a little off.

• Like 1

I think the emphasis on those Stats is related to ATPL or IFR ratings issued. Otherwise there would be only or two flight schools open in all of Canada...

IFR, ATPL...meh! Transport Canada and their requirments...backwards organsiation doesnt know what the other hand is doing...crippling us with their rules and reg's...

Theres plenty of very competent CPL's out there, but TC and costs hold them back from being able to progress in their careers. A helicopter and flight rules is simple once you know how. Doesnt take only "Gods in Aviation" to have an ATPL or IFR. In-fact, a watering-down of the "God Pool" may just improve the current situation.

Ab-initio flight instructors are the ones who should really be in-demand. 

• Thanks 1