TC Fatigue Regulations Impact Medevac Fixed Wing Operator - Helo operators take note

Crusty

Here's an article that I just found re a medevac outfit (fixed wing) being grounded by the TC fatigue rules. This is a real life small operator situation happening to fixed wing. An excellent read that's a real head shaker - pay attention to the numbers quoted wrt complying with the new fatigue regulations - and this is fixed wing. Let's just see what happens to the rotary world. Not looking good...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/air-ambulance-remote-healthcare-access-1.6688950

I'm pretty sure that medevac operations are exempt, and trying to mix medevac and taxi services would be a problem, just as mixing 702/703 operations can be problematic.

Moreover, does this operator really have four pilots for what is supposed to be a 24-hour operation? My guess is that in the past, they were only working when they were flying.

Pulsar Informatics out of Seattle has been working with many heli operators I deal with to implement exemptions through an FRMS program. ( all sorts of operators: Medevac, exploration, wildfire suppression, etc.)

Below are broad stroke details: (as I understand them)

The exemption is effective immediately upon submission to TC, for a duration of 1-2 years while being monitored and analyzed through the FRMS program. After the analysis period application for the exemption to become permanent can be made.

Although not cheap, it is a viable solution to continue to operate within the new regulations, and big picture will only be a fraction of the cost of having to hire additional flight crew.

Additionally, the FRMS program is a very useful tool, and ultimately in my opinion will make for safer work environments in regard to risk management/fatigue through fact based analysis. 

10 hours ago, HeliWrench9 said:

Pulsar Informatics out of Seattle has been working with many heli operators I deal with to implement exemptions through an FRMS program. ( all sorts of operators: Medevac, exploration, wildfire suppression, etc.)

Below are broad stroke details: (as I understand them)

The exemption is effective immediately upon submission to TC, for a duration of 1-2 years while being monitored and analyzed through the FRMS program. After the analysis period application for the exemption to become permanent can be made.

It's not effective immediately upon submission......you still have to wait for TC approval to utilize it. We're in the middle of this process now.

On 2/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, Crusty said:

Here's an article that I just found re a medevac outfit (fixed wing) being grounded by the TC fatigue rules. This is a real life small operator situation happening to fixed wing. An excellent read that's a real head shaker - pay attention to the numbers quoted wrt complying with the new fatigue regulations - and this is fixed wing. Let's just see what happens to the rotary world. Not looking good...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/air-ambulance-remote-healthcare-access-1.6688950

Well isn't that an innovative and cost-effective approach....🤔

2. CARs Principles

(2) Minimizing the Regulatory Burden...

"The CARs are intended to be cost-effective; allowing for technical innovation and business practices tailored to an operator's specific requirements".

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, simpleton said:

It's not effective immediately upon submission......you still have to wait for TC approval to utilize it. We're in the middle of this process now.

Nah, it is effective immediately upon notice of intent. I will try and find the document and post the reference. If memory serves me it was issued just a few weeks ago.

10 hours ago, HeliWrench9 said:

Nah, it is effective immediately upon notice of intent. I will try and find the document and post the reference. If memory serves me it was issued just a few weeks ago.

That's also what we were initially told.....and yet it isn't. We are nearly 3 months into the wait already.