Jump to content

Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

TC Fatigue Regulations Impact Medevac Fixed Wing Operator - Helo operators take note


Crusty
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's an article that I just found re a medevac outfit (fixed wing) being grounded by the TC fatigue rules. This is a real life small operator situation happening to fixed wing. An excellent read that's a real head shaker - pay attention to the numbers quoted wrt complying with the new fatigue regulations - and this is fixed wing. Let's just see what happens to the rotary world. Not looking good...

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/air-ambulance-remote-healthcare-access-1.6688950

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that medevac operations are exempt, and trying to mix medevac and taxi services would be a problem, just as mixing 702/703 operations can be problematic.

Moreover, does this operator really have four pilots for what is supposed to be a 24-hour operation? My guess is that in the past, they were only working when they were flying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pulsar Informatics out of Seattle has been working with many heli operators I deal with to implement exemptions through an FRMS program. ( all sorts of operators: Medevac, exploration, wildfire suppression, etc.)

 

Below are broad stroke details: (as I understand them)

 

The exemption is effective immediately upon submission to TC, for a duration of 1-2 years while being monitored and analyzed through the FRMS program. After the analysis period application for the exemption to become permanent can be made.

 

Although not cheap, it is a viable solution to continue to operate within the new regulations, and big picture will only be a fraction of the cost of having to hire additional flight crew.

 

Additionally, the FRMS program is a very useful tool, and ultimately in my opinion will make for safer work environments in regard to risk management/fatigue through fact based analysis. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HeliWrench9 said:

Pulsar Informatics out of Seattle has been working with many heli operators I deal with to implement exemptions through an FRMS program. ( all sorts of operators: Medevac, exploration, wildfire suppression, etc.)

 

Below are broad stroke details: (as I understand them)

 

The exemption is effective immediately upon submission to TC, for a duration of 1-2 years while being monitored and analyzed through the FRMS program. After the analysis period application for the exemption to become permanent can be made.

 

 

It's not effective immediately upon submission......you still have to wait for TC approval to utilize it. We're in the middle of this process now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, Crusty said:

Here's an article that I just found re a medevac outfit (fixed wing) being grounded by the TC fatigue rules. This is a real life small operator situation happening to fixed wing. An excellent read that's a real head shaker - pay attention to the numbers quoted wrt complying with the new fatigue regulations - and this is fixed wing. Let's just see what happens to the rotary world. Not looking good...

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/air-ambulance-remote-healthcare-access-1.6688950

Well isn't that an innovative and cost-effective approach....🤔

2. CARs Principles

(2) Minimizing the Regulatory Burden...

"The CARs are intended to be cost-effective; allowing for technical innovation and business practices tailored to an operator's specific requirements".

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, simpleton said:

It's not effective immediately upon submission......you still have to wait for TC approval to utilize it. We're in the middle of this process now.

Nah, it is effective immediately upon notice of intent. I will try and find the document and post the reference. If memory serves me it was issued just a few weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HeliWrench9 said:

Nah, it is effective immediately upon notice of intent. I will try and find the document and post the reference. If memory serves me it was issued just a few weeks ago.

That's also what we were initially told.....and yet it isn't. We are nearly 3 months into the wait already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...