Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How to ask for career advancements?

Thats a sad reality, I guess that type of taking has created this problem. I'm old school a man's word is his word that shows allot about someone character imo. On the other hand if its business then no wonder people trample on each other and companies to get to the top of their own game. This is a interesting conversation I thank you all for participating and sharing id like to hear more honest opinions and experiences. This is what our industry needs, more openness and understanding. 

Then there is the 

Come to work for us this year and we will give you X endorsement. 

You work all year with no mistakes and no complaints. 

Then at the end of the year... sorry it is slow and we had a bad year so we have to let you go and no endorsement. 

So the operators wonder why there is no loyalty and hard to find the "team players "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, just looking said:

You are correct there is no loyalty in this industry on both sides. There are a lot of endorsement chasers out there. I have witnessed people leave 3 companies in one year after they get the endorsement. He gave everyone his word he would stay 2 seasons. 

That’s what it is, and it’s only gotten worse with a shrinking market and extreme attrition.

11 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Then there is the 

Then at the end of the year... sorry it is slow and we had a bad year so we have to let you go and no endorsement. 

So the operators wonder why there is no loyalty and hard to find the "team players "

Anyone with any experience in this “industry” has either witnessed this carrot dangling or had it happen to them directly before being taken out at the knees.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

There are some real pieces of work out there on both sides of the fence. There are also some really great people in this industry as well. Both are just a snapshot of the real world we live in.

BUT

As the saying  goes " The few spoil it for the many."

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Diaper_Pin said:

There are some real pieces of work out there on both sides of the fence. There are also some really great people in this industry as well. Both are just a snapshot of the real world we live in.

BUT

As the saying  goes " The few spoil it for the many."

Working outside of Canada is a real eye opener for what the industry is domestically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, Jetfuel said:

I recently worked for a large heli company. I had heard from a pilot in a similar position that he was told he may be given a astar endorsement on being employed. Iv flown in the bush all my career where he was in the city. I also had my own mountain course which he did not. After a full season and being laid off where he was kept on over the winter I wanted to ask for something to advance as a pilot. On rehire I was again kept in a gray area of information about my careers future with the company. 

I'm confused as to the reasons this could be, pay difference, subservience, favoritism, prejudice? Do owners make choices on who they want to see get ahead or is it more the operations manager and chief pilot calling the shots? 

I'm not entirely sure how the business works but it seems like equal opportunity and asking for something can be detrimental as my contract was terminate. I would have liked to instead have had a real chat with clarity and explanation of how or why I was being held back.

I can assume a bunch of reasons companies would do this to someone. Is it that some pilots future goals and aspirstions dont matter? Or should that never be discussed? Or is this all due to the all mighty $ watching company spending? Getting pilots for cheap and keeping their wages low with training? Or are some pilots liked more over others due to being subservient? 

What helps a pilot get ahead in a career over others?

Work hard, be true to your word and yourself.  Get everything in writing when offers or promises are made (follow up emails summarizing said promises and agreements).  If they don’t acknowledge these there is more going on behind the scenes.  This is an industry of *** kissing, back stabbing and nepotism/favouritism.  If you’re a contractor I’d definitely be seeing a solicitor for a contract agreement drafted with your expectations and signed in blood before you go to work.  These are things I did earlier on in my career and I still have a diploma wall from hard knocks.  There’s a lot of good advice in here, bottom line, take steps to protect yourself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:40 PM, Pool pilot said:

Then there is the 

That’s happened to me, so much I wish i could have told my younger self 😂 

• Thanks 3