Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

STARS

Hey guys, I don't want to sound like a salesmen, no I'm not in management/HR, and no we don't have a recruitment bonus program. I wanted to throw something out there amongst you all in the VFR industry that there might be a possible over site. Just like every operator in Canada, STARS has been aggressively hiring and from what I’ve heard internally they are not seeing a lot of resumes from experienced VFR pilots. That being said, don’t over look one of the most stable and best jobs in Canada’s helicopter industry! . I believe the challenge has been finding crew that meet the minimum requirements and want to work in HEMS. To say the helicopter industry recruitment expectations have changed, is the understatement of the century!! Over a decade ago, I started at STARS as a well rounded 7500hr VFR guy with very little night and IFR. At the time I was viewed as the entry level guy! In the current market an entry level pilot at STARS is much much lower time. Lately I've chatted with friends in the VFR world and mentioned our recruiting challenges at STARS. The most common response is "Well I don't have night and IFR so didn't really think about it". I totally get it and I was once in that position. 4 weeks at a flight school can easily fix that and you'll have your night and IFR. Here at STARS 99% of the flying is VFR day and night and truth be known the aided NVG night feels like day. Our main flight risk is confined area landings therefore I feel experienced VFR pilots bring a lot to the table. Basically I'm saying, don't be thrown off by your lack of night and IFR and I'd encourage all experienced VFR guys and gals out there that are tired of cyclical, uncertain at times VFR industry to consider stepping out of your comfort zone and apply. Your VFR experience would be a huge asset and addition to compliment the overall goal of managing risk. I gotta say it is pretty awesome being home every night watching the family grow up, having your ANNUAL schedule, and helping the people of western Canada. I even have time to go back into the VFR industry and throw a drill around or do a little bucketing! If anyone has any questions and wants a perspective from a simple line guy, sent me a message. Thanks, idh

• Like 10

Curious what base you’d be at where 7500 hrs is the “entry level” guy. Grass isn’t always greener and the flying rate is so low there is a lot of sitting around which can be really toxic. How has management been? Never came to mind as a well run or managed company.  

19Seirra, I am in Saskatoon and back 11 years ago when they opened the base the initial hires were half guys like me and half ex military. We fly about 200-250 hours a year and I work about 150 shifts and train about 10. Toxic only if you hire the wrong people. lol!! Management has been awesome and I think the 30 plus year impeccable safety record speaks for itself. Is the organization ran like a helicopter company?? No because it is not.

3 minutes ago, Takem said:

19Seirra, I am in Saskatoon and back 11 years ago when they opened the base the initial hires were half guys like me and half ex military. We fly about 200-250 hours a year and I work about 150 shifts and train about 10. Toxic only if you hire the wrong people. lol!! Management has been awesome and I think the 30 plus year impeccable safety record speaks for itself. Is the organization ran like a helicopter company?? No because it is not.

Ah yes Saskatoon would make sense, good crew there. Definitely not a helicopter company but some nepotism and questionable management in AB that is worrisome and hopefully gets sorted and I'm sure if it does more drivers will be wanting to apply. Still lots of good front line crews overall, especially with the pilot/amc dynamic. Glad it's a good fit for you- keep flying safe.

• Like 2

I have only heard great things about STARS from folks I know who work there. 

What I hear from EMS in general though is recruitment is down due to the VFR industry paying better and having better schedules compared to what was the norm years ago. The 10-15 grand on night/IFR gets you in the door at STARS, Ornge, Helijet but are you making more money compared to VFR? 

8 minutes ago, noice said:

I have only heard great things about STARS from folks I know who work there. 

What I hear from EMS in general though is recruitment is down due to the VFR industry paying better and having better schedules compared to what was the norm years ago. The 10-15 grand on night/IFR gets you in the door at STARS, Ornge, Helijet but are you making more money compared to VFR? 

If you're an experienced vfr production pilot or skilled on a line/medium guy you'll make comparable, maybe more. But a 2000 hr intermediate guy will make less. With the shortage of drivers and how things are going VFR this year I think it's going to be very competitive and close, however the HEMS world pays quite well depending on which company you go with, especially for the perks (salary, consistent schedule, home every night etc...)

• Like 1

Well, you got me thinking to say the least.  I'm available soon, (leaving on good terms).  Currently evaluating a bunch of offers.  Been flying 30 years and have maybe 16 left in me.  Twin medium, mountain, longline, wire environment.  I have my night rating but rarely used it.  It never occurred to me that STARS would be open to start a conversation unless I already did the IFR.  The change I'm currently planning out is to either go heavies or IFR and next gen aircraft. 

Thanks for putting this out there. 

My biggest concern would be having to be an employee.  I've been an incorporated contractor for awhile now. 

2 hours ago, Jet B said:

Well, you got me thinking to say the least.  I'm available soon, (leaving on good terms).  Currently evaluating a bunch of offers.  Been flying 30 years and have maybe 16 left in me.  Twin medium, mountain, longline, wire environment.  I have my night rating but rarely used it.  It never occurred to me that STARS would be open to start a conversation unless I already did the IFR.  The change I'm currently planning out is to either go heavies or IFR and next gen aircraft. 

Thanks for putting this out there. 

My biggest concern would be having to be an employee.  I've been an incorporated contractor for awhile now. 

I would read the benefits package that is most likely in place.

My guess it will be better than what we can get as contractors. 

The not going away from home is a good thing.... I was a base manager for many years.

I know I would have jumped at something like this if I was looking for a long term position.