Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

STARS

I've always thought about this too but as you stated the lack of IFR/Night has always made me second guess it.

A few questions:

- What kind of schedule is normal?

- How many $ is an entry level pilot and then a 5 year+ guy making? Including overtime/etc...

- Does anyone know a rough cost these days to knock out the night/IFR requirements to get a foot in the door?

I do wonder sometimes why these companies don't provide the training themselves for the right applicants.

Thanks in advance, I'm genuinely curious about "the other side" of the industry.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, noice said:

I have only heard great things about STARS from folks I know who work there. 

What I hear from EMS in general though is recruitment is down due to the VFR industry paying better and having better schedules compared to what was the norm years ago. The 10-15 grand on night/IFR gets you in the door at STARS, Ornge, Helijet but are you making more money compared to VFR? 

I did 15 years flying Bell mediums all the way down to the Hughes 500s, followed by 11 years here at STARS. I currently work my normal STARS schedule and approx 30 days a year on a 407 and Astar doing fires and moving drills. The compensation is abit higher on the VFR side but its about the lifestyle. Home every night, set schedule 1 year in advance, flying very modern aircraft to mention a few perks. The job stability is priceless and we are almost recession proof. I still go scratch the itch on the VFR utility side which is icing on the cake!

On 4/29/2023 at 8:17 PM, Rotorhead205 said:

Can you do tours as a Stars pilot or do you need to live near your assigned base?  If tours, are flights, accommodations and per diems provided like in regular VFR contract work?

Yes there have been postings for Base, touring, and pool positions in the last year or soo! Flights are covered with Pool and touring position. If you apply on a base position and take it you are expected to live there. I believe there might be moving expense coverage for base positions.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:07 PM, Tee4 said:

I've always thought about this too but as you stated the lack of IFR/Night has always made me second guess it.

A few questions:

- What kind of schedule is normal?

- How many $ is an entry level pilot and then a 5 year+ guy making? Including overtime/etc...

- Does anyone know a rough cost these days to knock out the night/IFR requirements to get a foot in the door?

I do wonder sometimes why these companies don't provide the training themselves for the right applicants.

Thanks in advance, I'm genuinely curious about "the other side" of the industry.

The typical schedule is 4 days/4 nights in a row, followed by 8-13 days off. Essentially we work approx 160-170 days a year.

I'm not management so not gonna get into $$.

I did my night and IFR with Mountain view in Springbank but that was 14 years ago. It was approximately $18K then and took approx 4 weeks from start to finish.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:59 AM, Takem said:

Hey guys, I don't want to sound like a salesmen, no I'm not in management/HR, and no we don't have a recruitment bonus program. I wanted to throw something out there amongst you all in the VFR industry that there might be a possible over site. Just like every operator in Canada, STARS has been aggressively hiring and from what I’ve heard internally they are not seeing a lot of resumes from experienced VFR pilots. That being said, don’t over look one of the most stable and best jobs in Canada’s helicopter industry! . I believe the challenge has been finding crew that meet the minimum requirements and want to work in HEMS. To say the helicopter industry recruitment expectations have changed, is the understatement of the century!! Over a decade ago, I started at STARS as a well rounded 7500hr VFR guy with very little night and IFR. At the time I was viewed as the entry level guy! In the current market an entry level pilot at STARS is much much lower time. Lately I've chatted with friends in the VFR world and mentioned our recruiting challenges at STARS. The most common response is "Well I don't have night and IFR so didn't really think about it". I totally get it and I was once in that position. 4 weeks at a flight school can easily fix that and you'll have your night and IFR. Here at STARS 99% of the flying is VFR day and night and truth be known the aided NVG night feels like day. Our main flight risk is confined area landings therefore I feel experienced VFR pilots bring a lot to the table. Basically I'm saying, don't be thrown off by your lack of night and IFR and I'd encourage all experienced VFR guys and gals out there that are tired of cyclical, uncertain at times VFR industry to consider stepping out of your comfort zone and apply. Your VFR experience would be a huge asset and addition to compliment the overall goal of managing risk. I gotta say it is pretty awesome being home every night watching the family grow up, having your ANNUAL schedule, and helping the people of western Canada. I even have time to go back into the VFR industry and throw a drill around or do a little bucketing! If anyone has any questions and wants a perspective from a simple line guy, sent me a message. Thanks, idh

I applied multiple times with my instrument and NVG experience, but no response at all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Industry is small...the IFR side even smaller. Before applying, consider your own reputation. Just because you have the quals, it is by no means your ticket in. When you apply and do get a call-back, be rest-assured you have already been checked out and the call-back is most likely a job offer for you to accept. So be good to your peers, not just management.  It is a "multi-crew" environment" which means the most important thing about the IFR side is your personality and attitude. Even if you have a newly-inked IFR ticket, your historical VFR persona is key, and a Captain will very willingly work with you to get you up to the required skill standard. Remember, there is no cure for being a C*nt!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Ornge, AND Custom/Traumaflight are also good employers, well worth the look if you hold the quals.

at Ornge you work 142 days + overtime shifts IF YOU WANT, training is paid and you get a decent pension and bennies. It's not all perfect, nowhere is, but it's darn nice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BJP said:

The Industry is small...the IFR side even smaller. Before applying, consider your own reputation. Just because you have the quals, it is by no means your ticket in. When you apply and do get a call-back, be rest-assured you have already been checked out and the call-back is most likely a job offer for you to accept. So be good to your peers, not just management.  It is a "multi-crew" environment" which means the most important thing about the IFR side is your personality and attitude. Even if you have a newly-inked IFR ticket, your historical VFR persona is key, and a Captain will very willingly work with you to get you up to the required skill standard. Remember, there is no cure for being a C*nt!

Very accurate. 

• Like 4