Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

STARS

• 1 month later...

I’d hazard a guess that the #1 thing that prevents most pilots from applying is having to fork out their own money for the training. VFR operators pay for mountain courses, endorsements, etc which can be worth just as much as IFR in training costs. If IFR companies are struggling to recruit, they should consider offering a training contract and covering the cost of training up-front. Having to pay for training after 20+ years of having it provided to you for free is a tough pill to swallow for most of us. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SpoolDown said:

I’d hazard a guess that the #1 thing that prevents most pilots from applying is having to fork out their own money for the training. VFR operators pay for mountain courses, endorsements, etc which can be worth just as much as IFR in training costs. If IFR companies are struggling to recruit, they should consider offering a training contract and covering the cost of training up-front. Having to pay for training after 20+ years of having it provided to you for free is a tough pill to swallow for most of us. 

Only IFR ticket and night rating is needed to be paid for, Stars, Helijet, Traumaflight, Ascent, Ornge and whomever will give you the other required training. Some may require bonds, others may not.

The IFR Ticket... It's a bit much to ask for. The fixed wing guys do that right, they usually get CPL, Multi IFR immediately, then all that's needed later is currency for the IFR.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:53 PM, tipspeed said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point companies that require IFR will hire candidates on condition of them getting their IFR and night. It would make a difference knowing you can apply and get hired somewhere and work on your IFR knowing you have a job. 

Sounds like a good idea, but you are then hiring someone on a "maybe". They may not be able to pass the IFR course. The night training isn't difficult and only 10 hours. The IFR is 40 hours. You can do 20 in an approved simulator of some kind (flyit, Redbox etc), 15 in a fixed wing, 5 + ride in the helicopter. the ground portion is 20 hours of ground school.

Oh and Ornge will be paying really well!

• Like 1

I know a guy that worked at STARS.  He says if you are entry level pilot, you will take a 50 to 60 percent pay cut from the VFR world and you will be at that rate of pay for 5-8 years. He says STARS is an ex-military old boys club and and as a civilian guy you are treated as  s**t on a stick by them.  If you are going to spend the money on an IFR ticket, go to work for someone like Cougar or Heli-jet and get some real IFR experience. It will serve you better for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, mohave green said:

I know a guy that worked at STARS.  He says if you are entry level pilot, you will take a 50 to 60 percent pay cut from the VFR world and you will be at that rate of pay for 5-8 years. He says STARS is an ex-military old boys club and and as a civilian guy you are treated as  s**t on a stick by them.  If you are going to spend the money on an IFR ticket, go to work for someone like Cougar or Heli-jet and get some real IFR experience. It will serve you better for the future.

I can tell you that at Ornge and Custom/TraumaFlight you will not run into those problems. If you have a level head and some experience, you'll upgrade as soon as you can qualify. And the new payscale starting is not bad. Over 100K for FO.