Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mountain Course training providers BC

Hello Canadian Heli Pilots,

Looking for advise on best training provider for Mountain training course & licence flight review/renewal(Completed licence conversion 3years ago and not current) in BC? 

My current situation is I’m a 25 years old Aussie  looking to move to Canada next year and advance my skills in longlining and firefighting. 

I’ve currently got the following experience:

-4000hrs total
-2500hrs turbine
-500hrs multi engine
-600hrs low level 
-50hrs sling
-TYPES FLOWN: R44/R66/B06/EC30\AS50/AS55
-OPS CONDUCTED: Survey, Remote area, chief pilot, aerial inspection, vessel/boat ops (1000+ landings), sling(only 50hrs), flight instruction, charter and scenics.

Any other advise to help pursue a flying career in Canada would be greatly appreciated.

Best advice is to choose an instructor who has spent time actually working in the mountains, not just flying around them. The theoretical part of the training is pretty straight forward - it’s putting it into practice that takes skill, and is an art in itself. 

I’d recommend checking out this school - I trained with their chief flight instructor / owner a while ago when he worked for another company. His industry experience meant that the training scenarios were realistic and his teaching experience meant that he could impart his knowledge effectively. 

https://joinairhelicopters.ca

• Like 3

12 hours ago, heli_sdw said:

Best advice is to choose an instructor who has spent time actually working in the mountains, not just flying around them. The theoretical part of the training is pretty straight forward - it’s putting it into practice that takes skill, and is an art in itself. 

I’d recommend checking out this school - I trained with their chief flight instructor / owner a while ago when he worked for another company. His industry experience meant that the training scenarios were realistic and his teaching experience meant that he could impart his knowledge effectively. 

Wasn't Craig a part of Chinook? What happened there?

On 5/9/2023 at 1:59 AM, heli_sdw said:

$1000 per hour for the R44 in BC now? 

11 hours ago, Pool pilot said:

Money well spent if plan on playing in the hills and BC has most of those hills close to the training schools.

True indeed. I'm just finishing up my Commercial in Alberta, considering doing the Mountain Course after!

On 5/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, Change1211 said:

Wasn't Craig a part of Chinook? What happened there?

No big deal. He decided to start his own school, in his home town, so he was 5 minutes from work. I highly recommend him for a Mountain Course.