Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hgu-84

Norm

Norm,

I have an HGU-84 that I use for vertical reference work. It is not as comfortable as my SPH-5 (it puts a little too much pressure on my cheek bones) but it is more compact and the c of g is lower so there is less strain on the neck muscles.

Mine has the bungee style visor which is excellent for keeping the rotor wash/wind out of your eyes while flying with the door off but can be easily scratched if you are not careful.

If I was to buy another helmet I would be looking seriously at the Alpha.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

NG

Well I am sorry to say but I don't have the money for the alpha or the MSA :down: . I have seen the alpha eagle 400 series from the DNR pilots here in Shubie. They said they were $2200.00 each :blink: . They are a real nice helmet though. I see that the HGU-84 has the stream lining of the alpha and MSA which is nice (no big side bumps). I just may be able to get a fair priced gentex and just would like to know if they fit right and do the job.

Thanks Norm

I just may be able to get a fair priced gentex and just would like to know if they fit right and do the job.

Thanks Norm

Norm,

Any of the Gentex helmets will "do the job". As far as fit, well that depends on the individual. You will probably have better luck getting a good fit with the SPH-5 than the HGU-84. The SPH-5 has a lot more adjustment available. The HGU-56 I am not familiar with.

Which ever Gentex helmet you get, definately look into a Hush kit from Oregon Aero. The helmet will be a lot quieter and more comfortable.

Cheers!

NG

Well I didn't get my HGU-84 helmet :( , it was on e-bay and I bid up to $400.00 for it.  The thing jumped at the last second to apporx. $600.00 from $300.00.  I am gonna keep looking though.

Helmets are a pet peeve of mine.

Norm, in your career as a helicopter pilot you will invariably go through many flight suits, work boots, gloves, GPS's and other personal ops gear but you will probably only own one helmet. If you cheap out and get a used helmet from EBay you may find that it was someone's toss away that maybe got dropped off the top shelf or worse.

And fit is of huge importance because you will be wearing this thing for hours on end in the cockpit (hopefully)...if its flopping around on your head or squeezing your temples till your eyes pop out then it will make the day feel doubly as long.

Get a new helmet from a reputable source with the proper earphones, microphone, and cord for a civilian helicopter (ex-military helmets will cost you upwards of $300.00 to modify to civilian spec) and make sure that it is the correct size for your noggin. Get a dual visor if you can - clear and tinted. Gentex SPH-5's are reasonably priced and a proven design...and should be the minimum helmet you consider.

It may seem expensive now but what's it really worth to you if and when you need that protection? Besides, in twenty years you can probably still sell it on EBay to some unwitting new helicopter pilot for a profit...