Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gps

OLD BULL

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest issue in which GPS unit to buy is what do you want to do with it?

If it is terrain mapping there are quite a few units that are awsome for map reading..in fact I still use an older Airmap 300  that uses a mapping chips that is as good or better than an aviation map. I have chips or cartriges for most of Canada and eastern Europe plus part of Africa...and they are excellent for map reading.

My favourite GPS is the Anywheremap system running on an Ipac...I have two of them. You not only have GPS but a computer that fits in your shirt pocket.

So the most important thing is to detremine what you want to see on your GPS.

They are all accurate as **** for speed and distance information.

Rev...

Hang on. weren't you just describing your "technological limitations" on another thread ? :lol:

Personally, I only used GPS for marking the position of crew drop off point or pickup points. For standard navigation point to point I still use the old fashioned compas, wind correction angle magnetic var.. I find this way I don't loose the skills.

What happens when the GPS fails? I think the GPS is a great invention but it also is not something that one should become dependent on as is the case in this industry today. Dang , half the pilots out there cannot even read a map.

Reality check.

" Hang on. weren't you just describing your "technological limitations" on another thread ? "

Yes, I am tecnologically challenged with computer jargon and clicking the proper " click areas "

GPS receivers on the other hand are programmed for pilots and have been dummed down to our level...

...even the fly by wire aircraft such as Airbus are nothing more than a flying video game are dummy proofed so pilots can play them...

..the most demanding part of flying the " Nintindo " generation of airplanes is programming the FMS, and that is not really that hard as dispatch clearly prints out all the information in a logical and accurate manner, then all that is required is for there be enough reading and writing comprehension between the two pilots to transfer the information from the pages that dispatch gives you into the keyboard of the FMS.

If there is any problem you can bring up the cutest cabin attendant ( gender of your choice. :up: ) and ask for help reading the big words....

So, Skids there you have it....I trust that now you understand my limitations with computers? :up:

The Reverend C.W.

I have been looking to upgrade from my pilot 3. I looked at the 296 but may buy the Garmin Ique Pda. Same size screen as the 296 and seems it will do everything the 296 will. plus you get the pda and it is slimmer. . It is also a little cheaper.

any one have one, do the like it ?

JFK

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Garmin 296. Man, it simply rocks!

Yes, the buttons are on the right side, and thus, can block the screen when using them, but the same is true for the 396, isn't it?

Too bad the 396 satellite wx info doesn't cover Canada. (At least that is how I understood it)

Oh yeah, and the fact that it was $3500 when I looked at it.