newbie questions...

I''m with Firehawk and ####. Getting ratings that you won''t have a chance to use for some time makes no sense. Build experience first, then once you''ve reached a point when someone who needs IFR rating, etc would consider hiring you, go and get it. Otherwise it will gather dust until it lapses.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ryan,

You must have 50 hours of cross country PIC time in order to get your instrument rating. You will not get this in your initial 100 hour course. I work for a company that has put low time people on the 76, and these people found it hard to break into the VFR world even after a couple thousand hours. I started in the bush and then went IFR and have found it a much easier transition. Not to mention the IFR and night rating will cost you an extra $12,000.00. As for schools, I would look closely at how many of their students get hired after the course. I''ve heard good things about Airborne , however I''ve never had any dealings with them personally. Seems like you have the right attitude. Good luck.

All this info is GOLD! Thanks bigtime. I go for my second interview at Coast Helicopter College tomorrow to see if I''m in for this fall''s training season. If anyone knows Bob, the owner, put in a good word for me! If...I mean when he says I''m in, it''s time to start pestering him for a job picking bugs off helicopters, making coffee, or whatever else there is that no one wants to do. Same plan for VIH since they''re a stone throw away from Bob''s office.

Cross your fingers for me.

Hey Ryan,

Good luck tommorrow, and tell this Bob guy he better take you in or the Bruno brothers, yes the guys with the violin case, will be paying him a visit.

Enjoy your training and make it fun We learn more when were having fun then when were not.

Further to what everyone is saying about the IFR, get the bush time first!

Most IFR jobs fly very little to start with, so it''ll take you forever to get any time, and hours are what you need.

Likewise, two guys show up, both with 2000 hours for an IFR job. Pilot 1 has 2000 hours of bush PIC time and a fresh IFR ticket, Pilot 2 has 2000 hours sitting cojoe in an EMS 76. Unless there''s some serious personality issues with Pilot 1 he''ll likely get the job, and he''ll be a quick upgrade to Captain, and in my experience, will make a much stronger Captain when the upgrade comes.

Another thing to consider, Pilot 1 has been out in bush camps for the past 4 years and is looking to settle down and develop a steadier home life. Pilot 2 has been living on a steady, easy (in comparison) schedule , living in the Big Smoke, steady girlfiend/wife, going to movies/BBQ''s/Social functions on weekends and able to plan holidays, getting to friends weddings, etc. for the past ten years its taken him to get 2000 hours. Do you think he really wants to give that up to go back into the bush to get some PIC time in?

If the bush isn''t your thing, get it out of the way when you''re young.

Flying EMS is a blast and is very rewarding, and its an honorable goal, but if you get there too early, and you hear all the bush stories of your fellow pilots, you''ll regret your choice.