Camps - great, bad and weird

Guest graunch1

Guest graunch1

How about a listing of all the camps everyone has worked at or stayed in over the years. My nominees in no particular order:

Swimming Point - nice clean place in the 70s with Gulf

Rae Point - Pan Arctic''s hellhole on Melville Island - drunks and nutcases - and that was just the bosses

Canmar Tuktoyaktuk - Dome''s answer to a tropical health Spa (complete with hangar all you needed was warm weather and 350 people in camp not the 700+ that occupied it in the early 80s

Beaudrill (Gulf) Tuk, last of the great Tuk camps smaller than Dome but well laid out

Esso Tuk weird weird weird - you walked into the camp through an entrance right by the bedrooms. I went across one day from Dome to look at Oky''s BO105 and everyone in camp stared at you like you were the plague.

Best non-camp Inuvik in the early 70s

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelican Narrows, Sask now there is a spot that you will enjoy this summer 412! I would give anything to see the expression on your face when after 9 hrs of given''er you come home to cold fries & breakie saussages covered cold gravy. Then you have to be extremely careful not to run over a young brave or poco sleeping on the street if you venture off the base.

Pink Mtn Hotel now there is a memory of a room with a river running through it! literally!

Best was Meadow Ck BC when some young GREEN newbie was to bring my lunch to me everyday ..... now was that before the endoresment or after??

Bad Camps? I''m having a Flashback. Anyone who was at EDRA in the fireflap of 1979 may just now be getting over it. An AFS strip NW of McMurray on the top of a hill with no water. I remember going out to get a bucket of brown water(the nearest clean water was a ridiculous distance)so there was something to splash on your face in the morning. I don''t think I''ve eaten PB&J since because of the EDRA diet. A big thanks to Chris Reynolds for taking a 205 load of us for a swim in that lake that seemed oh so far away!!

Ha ha ha Meadow Ck eh Thumper? It was what I was doing to your lunch before the endorcement, or was it after? Green seems to be the word of the day.

Then it was putting up with eight hours of you smashing my knees with the stick, trying not to puke all over the dash. Then once that was done help that useless engeneer into the night. Ahhh the good ols days.

Still it was the best thing that could have happened to green guy like me...................The camp was good though.

Hey Gov, It doesnt sound like Edra has changed that much since 1979, I was up there in 2000. They were having all sorts of problems with food poisoning. A major revolt with pilots and engineers refusing to stay in camp and flying to the nearest

Oil camp to sleep.

But it was required that there was a aircraft to be in camp for medivacs.

When it came close to the end of the day

you should have seen everybody run from the fire boss like he had the plague.

I have to stop talking about it. Having nasty flash backs.

Maybe Kyle should open up a gallery called helicamps. I have been in some doosies, many in the NWT where a walk in the woods is like a tiptoe through a landmine patch. Or Woods lagoon logging camp, where no-one cares if the cats bring a mouse into the kitchen and eats it.