Carry on VFR career or make the switch to IFR ?

I am sitting at around 2000 hours and wondering whether to carry on being a vfr/utility pilot or start making the switch to an IFR job. 

I love some aspects of being a vfr pilot like fun sling jobs or bucketing, but also wouldn't want to be on the line moving drills all day and am sick of waiting in a swamp for hours for my clients. 

Is it worth doing my IFR exams and looking for a copilot job to hopefully start building some ME time or does that kill all the fun of flying?

Just looking for some opininons

Cheers

I would say go for it. If you have all the training done you can keep your eye out for a position that you could be interested in while continuing to do VFR if you like.

There is demand right now for experienced VFR guys in EMS so I doubt if you wanted to make the switch it would take long to find a spot. 

• Like 1

This crosses my mind several times a year also when sitting in a swamp, but then I think there's no way I'd enjoy the job anymore. Would also like to hear from guys who've jumped from utility to IFR and whether the cost of training and switch over was worth it or not. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yeezy said:

I am sitting at around 2000 hours and wondering whether to carry on being a vfr/utility pilot or start making the switch to an IFR job. 

I love some aspects of being a vfr pilot like fun sling jobs or bucketing, but also wouldn't want to be on the line moving drills all day and am sick of waiting in a swamp for hours for my clients. 

Is it worth doing my IFR exams and looking for a copilot job to hopefully start building some ME time or does that kill all the fun of flying?

Just looking for some opininons

Cheers

You will be taking a pretty big financial hit going left seat for a bit (50% Paycut).  @2000hrs you’re still relatively early in your career so now would be a good time to do it.  Get one of the larger operators in Canada to pay for it if you can.  And keep in mind, just because you get the license doesn’t mean you have to do it forever.  

I wouldn’t hesitate to go for it. I did at around 5000 hrs and haven’t been happier. Great schedules and awesome pay! Our company is actively looking for both Captains and FO’s. I believe an FO salary starts between 90-100 Grand plus overtime. Good benefits, RSP matching, the list goes on and on! Pm me if interested in knowing more. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Land Where? said:

I wouldn’t hesitate to go for it. I did at around 5000 hrs and haven’t been happier. Great schedules and awesome pay! Our company is actively looking for both Captains and FO’s. I believe an FO salary starts between 90-100 Grand plus overtime. Good benefits, RSP matching, the list goes on and on! Pm me if interested in knowing more. 

This in Ontario or bc? Lol

51 minutes ago, slingdog said:

says" awesome pay " followed by 90k,I'm gonna miss the humor here.

Same as everything, a stale rate from 20 plus years ago sitting left seat (it did dip way below that fyi).  Canada is tragically hilarious sometimes,  so long as you’re not directly affected.  Supply and demand definitely apply here 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1