Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206 question

Guest CHEVY II

OK, mea culpa - here''s where I get to eat humble pie.

It can go both ways. In fact, I have seen it go both ways, and don''t know what I was thinking. It will most often go the way that Phil describes, and Chevy II thought, that is, transmission to engine, but that depends on the deterioration of the freewheel seal, and other lab seals in the system. In my defense, I will only say that I wrote that at 9:15 PM forum time, which is 10:15 PM real time, and both are waaaaaaaaay past my bedtime. I had consumed waaaaay too much red wine and shouldn''t have been allowed near any form of public media.

On with it, then.

Chevy - the reason has nothing to do with oil pressure, as both cavities are vented to atmosphere, therefore, very little pressure exists in them. The engine gearbox actually contains very little oil when running, as it primarily a series of jets, and the oil is taken back into the system through the sump. The transmission, on the other hand, contains most of its oil in the case itself, and pumps oil to the freewheel (albeit at a trickle), but therefore will be more likely to give up its oil to the engine.

Hope that clears things up.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CHEVY II

Thx for the input CTD...I asked one of the other engineers today...this one has been around since "christ was a cowboy" and ventured to tell me that in '68 they(Bell) changed the seal from a single lip to a double for this reason...

Then he got the 206 book out and showed me how it would only go one way...trans.-->engine.

Even if it was leaking by, the way I described it, wouldn't it be doing it on a steady basis? Mines not!

Scenario #2 This has happened on three separate occasions in the past two years that I'm aware of and the level is usually at or around the "dot"...I like to keep it between the bottom of glass and the "dot".

Might be a gremlin in the hangar that likes to see the level right in the middle of the glass...dunno! This most recent episode happened after "the other guy" flew the machine.

Anyway...I think I'm beginning to pi$$ off the wrenches with this question!!!14.gif

Guest CHEVY II

----------------

On 5/22/2003 6:38:08 PM Elvis wrote:

PS if Your handle is ChevyII why do You have a long ranger as Your avtar??

----------------

In response to that question...I couldn''t find a 206 in gif format! Know of any?

Ah yes, but I''m not struggling . As a matter of fact, I''m sucking on a cheeky California Cab as we speak, getting ready to put 26 lbs of baby backs in marinate for the night. I''ll send you a list of the vintages I expect to have waiting in August OK?

I have seen this leak going both ways...it seems more often to go from Tx to engine and yes the seals are a bear to replace in the field.If you don''t mind draining a little oil here and adding a little oil there I would leave it till you get to a hanger and can pull the

donkey.It''s best to have the engine vertical to change the seals.I have replaced the seals in the bush without pulling the engine but you could do more harm than good.Talking about freewheel leaks...Twice I had a real bad leak on the engine side of the freewheel,were the main driveshaft connects to the freewheel.In both cases I had the (OLD) style freewheel installed.It has a cap plug installed in the end that bolts to the driveshaft.The oil was leaking out of the freewheel and was filling the driveshaft coupling with oil.There is a small breather hole in the end covers for the driveshafts.When I pulled the driveshaft out and took the endcap off it was full of a mixture of 2389 and 204 grease....didn''t look too good.Sent shaft in for O/H...both times they scraped the driveshaft so be carefull with freewheel leaks.

CTD

Regret available vintages restricted to Robson ''April'' (a dry, delicate, yet full-bodied rouge), Rocky Mountain Trench ''March'' (QUITE ''green'' yet, but should mellow in a century or two, and show well-rounded aspirin notes) and Thompson ''February'' (NOT an Ice wine, but nicely frosty, with deep, yet balanced, fudgcicle notes).

36 pounds of ribs! Are you getting paid in U.S. currency or merely gaining 5 lb. a week?

Oh my, they both sound lovely, and what a treat - we can't get them in Ontario. We're both drooling in anticipation. Looks like the trip is a step closer to reality, as Rosco has arranged one-way transportation of the mighty steed to YYC. I'm not sure he's ready for the hangover he'll have when I roll through Roscoville on the way home...

The ribs were for my bro-in-law's 40th. First time for such a quantity, but they were divine. As for the weight issue. the search for a bigger belt continues, and thinking of getting a tattoo.

Goop - how did your 'other' problem worked out??

Pottsy, Kenworth? Wassup? Hey, are you going to join us for the TRIC golf tourney this year? It's traditionally right after the spray, as Barry and Dale attend. This year's sched may be slightly altered as a result of FatStar's move - that's if the Fat Star is delivered by then, as it would only be 5 months behind schedule. BTW - good points about the shaft.

BV