Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ramp Hazzards?

Ryan

Thanks gang. Seems the rampies who've been here a while say it happens more often in the winter...wonder if Prist could be the cause. But then like you said Blackmac someone else would have seen this else where in the past. Either way I'll get a second opinion from another doc. Will let ya all know if it persists, or if the work environment is even the true cause.

Strikes me as odd though that it only happens with rampies in this company. Something must be causing it if it's not an isolated event with one person, but common with many.:unsure:

I'll get to the bottom of it I'm sure.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nosebleeds occur when there's a break in the blood vessels in the inner lining of the nose. They seldom require medical attention, but it is possible---and quite rare---for nosebleeds to be a symptom of serious illness. They can be caused by an injury, breathing dry air for prolonged periods of time, repeated blowing (or picking---sorry), high blood pressure and certain blood diseases. Persistent and frequently recurring nosebleeds require a doctor's attention; he or she may cauterize the blood vessels in the back of the nose. If you suspect it's due to breathing dry air for prolonged periods of time, you might find relief by the use of a humidifier at night. But if it's something you didn't have trouble with before and it persists, I'd definitely get an opinion or two.

-2¢ from Dr. Mom ;)

Having come from a place where a whole lot of short line slinging went on I have never heard of this one.

Just outa curiosity do the helicopters get parked into or at least cross wind? Do they go to idle?

I have spent a lot of time loading / unloading 76s engines running and can not say I have been bothered by exhaust except when downwind which don't happen very often. I always go to idle on the deck.

Yeah they always point into wind after taxiing to the pad. If it's gonna be a fast turn around we'll often have to be downwind though to get the fuel hose ready while it idles and shuts down. Thinking I might skip that part though... only saves about 1 minute of time. Not worth the potential risky. Plus it really makes me stinky. :P

Stolen off of PPRUNE

Let's all be carefull out there!

""NTSB Identification: IAD05LA135

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Tuesday, September 13, 2005 in Linden, NJ

Aircraft: Sikorsky S-76B, registration: N14CS

Injuries: 1 Serious, 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 13, 2005, about 1245 eastern daylight time, a standing Sikorsky S-76B, N14CS, operated by ExcelAire Service Inc., was undamaged when a lineman was struck by its turning main rotor at Linden Airport (LDJ), Linden, New Jersey. The lineman was seriously injured, and the certificated airline transport pilot and certificated commercial co-pilot were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 positioning flight, destined for Westchester County Airport (HPN), White Plains, New York.

The pilot and co-pilot each submitted written statements, which both contained similar information.

The helicopter was taxied to the fixed fuel pump for service, and engine power was reduced to idle. The lineman then arrived, and retrieved the aircraft grounding cable, and began pulling it toward the helicopter, approaching from about the 11 o'clock position, as viewed by the pilot. As he proceeded toward the helicopter, the lineman was bent down and was looking at the grounding cable attachment clip. He then suddenly stood upright, was struck by the helicopter's rotor, and knocked to the ground. The crew then shut down the helicopter's engines, stopped the rotor blade, and called for emergency assistance.

The pilot held an airline transport pilot certificate with a rating for rotorcraft-helicopter. He received his most recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) first class medical certificate on June 7, 2005. On that date he reported 8,000 total hours of civil flight experience and 550 total hours of military flight experience.

The co-pilot held a commercial pilot certificate with numerous ratings including rotorcraft-helicopter and instrument helicopter. He received his most recent FAA first class medical certificate on June 7, 2005, and reported 980 total hours of flight experience on that date.

Examination of records from the entity that employed the lineman revealed that he applied for the position of line technician on August 11, 2005. In the blank on the application labeled "Do you have special skills, experience or qualifications related to the position applied for," the lineman wrote "military experience for 8yrs [on] carriers and naval air stations."

The weather reported at Newark International Airport (EWR), Newark, New Jersey, about 5 nautical miles northeast, included winds from 190 degrees at 9 knots, 7 statute miles visibility, and few clouds at 4,500 feet.""

Perhaps they should have asked what exactly he did on those carriers and air stations!!! :(