Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Going The Pilot/engineer Route? Any Advise

JLMG

MD500.....I did it for years, flew summers, and worked for a MDHC AMO in winter, it was great....huge satisfaction doing a total rebuild on an aircraft then being able to fly it. As advised earlier though, I would strongly urge to "NOT" work out in the field doing both.....putting in days/nights that are to long can cause both ends of your work to suffer.....that I learned the hard way ;)

i agree

As a he/she you have many advantages over one or the other.

Biggest problem is not to be taken advantage of by an employer. Know what your worth and stand your ground. Be realistic about what you can accomplish in a day and know your limits. Big difference being on a 206 doing 2.5 hours a day compared to a 212 doing 8's.

Best part of being a he/she is you can have an intellectual conversation with your engineer and get right to the point with regards to trouble shooting and problem solving.

A good engineer appreciates the help of a pilot engineer...a lazy, slacker engineer on the other hand...

The more education you have the longer you will prosper and live!

I'm going to dust off the parchment my AME-S licence ( Steam endorsement) is scribed on and pull wrenches tomorrow :up: ... just to give the Base engineer a hand on a combustion liner change. I think he truly appreciates my help wrenching, 'cause he told me that "having me along is like loosing three good Men ! " :D ???

I'm going to dust off the parchment my AME-S licence ( Steam endorsement) is scribed on and pull wrenches tomorrow :up: ... just to give the Base engineer a hand on a combustion liner change. I think he truly appreciates my help wrenching, 'cause he told me that "having me along is like loosing three good Men ! " :D ???

Hey 407Driver, say hi to Boomhauer for me, we haven't seen him in town in a while...has some cougar got hold of him there??? He would be helpless against any sort of attack. :shock:

He was keen, so got up early and had the Can changed by the time I arrived, phew, that was close, almost got my hands dirty.

He should be back at home at the end of this week. He just told me he wants to buy you all beer at the Silver Chalice.

Helpless ???, He's the one sneaking around at night attacking Cougars ! :up: It may be ugly work, but with his Logging background, he's the best man for the job. :D

I have a question.

How can a P/e fly all day and then wrench after that and still stay within the pilot Duty Time limits?

Very easily, take off the helmet, put on the greasy hat.

Seriously though, a smart P/E or an understanding company would not let you get into that position. If you're doing 8's in a day, even with a shatty old 206, you're not going to be wrenching on it either. Get help if you find the day is too long for you legally or phsyically.

A P/E is only good for the light flying jobs where the maintenance is non existant. You'd be foolish to accept a job (employer is an idiot too) with any major components coming due, or any major maintenance.

Basically as a P/E, you're an engineer with an attitude, or a pilot with a grease gun and a socket set.