Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Poll: Your 2005 Season So Far

Guest CHEVY II

2005 Season  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weyerhauser is closing it's pulp and paper mill in prince albert in jan.. how will that affect the heli-logging industry or will it??

Nope.....that is the forte of the 64, flying the premium (size) wood. The pulp and paper boom, pretty much came to an end mid 90's Twinnie. I remember (then) when, pretty much every stick flown used to have value....sad to see more job losses though, as i'm sure that is one of the major employers in P.A. :(

It's all over and entails so many variables that we could talk about it for days and days.

Same in this next of the woods.

Norampac in Red Rock, Ont - 190 laid off and the rest to go in the spring

Neenah (formerly) Kimberly Clark in Terrace Bay, Ont - 185 gone and there's talk of a total shutdown for up to 10 months, very shortly.

Marathon Pulp Inc, Marathon, Ont - 80 gone & another 60 by the end of the month....possible total closure in Jan.

......the list goes on and on around here.

The high dollar, distance of fiber, cost of electrons & fuel, cost of natural gas couple with very high transportation costs and not to mention UNIONS are major contributors to the desvastion in the pulp & paper industry.

I await my pink slip, hopefully, any day now.

(Oh, man! Are we back to that again, DW?! And I was just thinking the other day that I was missing your wit and charm. :D Might have to come up there and have you show me the proper way to swirl and spit that nasty vermouth just so I can get close enough to smack ya a good one! :P)

Temporary hijack compliments of DW. Ha!

Back to 2005 SEASON SO FAR