Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Atpl's

Helilog56

Okay new topic.....I am interested in hearing thoughts and or stories of transitioning into a 2 pilot cockpit ,whether it is full IFR or a Restricted ATPL for aerial work. As most of us come out of flight schools as a commercial pilot, usually our first jobs are on vfr light single pilot helicopters, we get used to doing things on our own with decision making, and cockpit management. How easy was your transition to having someone else doing that for you or share that responsibility. While you are logging, does it irk you if the guy beside you does more turns than you? Clash of ego's? While in the soup at night, do you trust that captain that you personally have no time for otherwise? In short how well did you adjust....with relative ease or a struggle?

Hmmm. maybe this should be set up as a poll? Thoughts?

It all depends on who you end up flying with. My first two crew op had three pilots at the base, and the Captain I flew with expected me to sit there and shut up, and I could put the gear up and down if I was quick enough. Hard to swallow with nearly 4000 hours of PIC time under my belt.

Once you get in an operation with experienced crews, solid SOP's, and a strong training department, even the worst Captain can only be so much detrement, and for the most part, the guys you'll meet are great. You'll learn a ton from the experience you are flying with, and the sum of the two parts is somewhat better than the whole if everything is going the way it's supposed to, and you'll have someone to chat with! Those old crusty Captains are few and far between nowadays. It's all good!

You having trouble at work HL56 ? :P Need to vent ? Need some nurturing ? :lol:

:blink: Aww, comeon Skidz.....you know I'm always having trouble :wacko: But seriously, I would like feedback for some information gathering. That is also a great part of these forums, learning.....As we are establishing more to our SOP's it is nice to find out if there is a common theme that surfaces elsewhere in other 2 pilot cockpits....after all human nature can be predictable....it's the "unpredictable" we want to keep at bay......and ****....I vented enough at Bladethrow to last me for a" little" while..... :P

Great post there Bladestrike!

i went IFR with about 3000 hours under my belt............

it was tough until i realized the other guy is more than willing to do his share of the load....

i was at helijet and for the most part the captains were good when i started and the policy was radio for half the legs and fly the other half............

it was a little hard for me to get used to the 2 crew enviroment but once in i liked it........... :up:

...the Captain I flew with expected me to sit there and shut up, and I could put the gear up and down if I was quick enough...

...and the sum of the two parts is somewhat better than the whole if everything is going the way it's supposed to...

Yeah, hopefully most of those dinosaurs have retired! :down: Nothing like creating an environment of fear and intimidation to squelch any helpful or safety-enhancing input from your crew. :wacko:

...'cause we all know two heads are.... um..... thicker than one! :P:D

This is a very god question.

In the wonderful world of weldwing aviation most pilots move very quickly to a multi crew cockpit and learn the skills required to share control of the aircraft.

Helicopter pilots on the other hand as a rule spend the firts many years of their career on their own making their own decisions. For some it is a very difficult transition. Others can't do it at all. There are pilots I have met who got the IFR rating went to work but just could not learn to share a cockpit. They usually get frustrated and go back to the bush. After all the CRM courses I have taken over the years it still comes down to this. You will find yourself along for the ride about half the time having to trust the pilot beside you will not pick today to screw the pooch.

As far as crusty captains go they are not tolerated for long if word gets out. When I started IFR on my first trip in the Arctic I sat down beside a krusty old guy who pointed at a paintbruch hanging on a hook. "See that brush?" says he. "You keep the dust off the radar screen and intruments with that brush. Thats your job. Don't touch anything else. "

And slowly I started to learn how to fly offshore in rotton weather and at night without killing anybody. I find IFR work satisfying. I got into it because I was bored with the bush world.

But sharing a cockpit is not for everyone.

"bored with the bush world" - You must have been flying in some different bush than I have, Deuce. Oh, yeah, the occasional job, or even occasional season, has been less than exciting but, overall, I couldn't qualify it as boring. Different strokes for different folks, of course. The bit of two pilot stuff I've done was mostly fixed wing, and I found that got awfully boring awfully fast. I have to believe it's not as bad in the rotary world, but I still don't hanker after anything even approaching 'bus driving.'

And, like you say, "sharing a cockpit is not for everyone" (especially control freaks!), as attractive as the ride might otherwise be.

As long as we're all doing what we enjoy, instead of being unhappy with our seat, who cares, right? B)