Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Confined Area's

Lost

Ok this is for the Bell 206 drivers out there when you do confined area work how do you know what

type of landing / take off are you going to have to do?

Is there a way of working out power available for the type of take off IE Vertical /towering/cushion!

before you commit yourself for landing?

Cheers Taff

Ok this is for the Bell 206 drivers out there when you do confined area work how do you know what

type of landing / take off are you going to have to do?

Is there a way of working out power available for the type of take off IE Vertical /towering/cushion!

before you commit yourself for landing?

Cheers Taff

2pwrr........you do not state your experience level, but i will assume you are somewhat new.What you are asking should have been instilled in you by your flight instructors(s) during your flight training. No matter what type of aircraft you are in, the fundamentals are virtually the same. A lot of your questions are answered before you even take off with thourough pre-planning. Checking weather, d/a, wat @ performance charts, terrain, etc. Upon approach to your confined area, once identified, it is "your" responsibility to ensure that it is safe to land and t/o there (size,shape, surrounds, slope, surface, etc). A very "thourough" power assesment, by dropping just below translational lift (at a safe altitude of course), should give you a power margin that will determine what type of t/o will be required within the confined area. Is your performance torque limited, or is tot close to limits, how does my N1 relate to my power settings?....... ****, i should have done that power check the engineer asked me to do before this flight.

Your question overall, should be answered with some good supervised training (flight and ground) whether it is initial or recurrent......it can not be taught over a keyboard on a forum.....safe flying.....H56 ;)

get yourself a few hours from **** wood or penticton woth canadian....... if u have questions like that maybe you should take a few hours of emergency training as well by those guys.....

i asume ur new......u ever did a full on auto or pedal failure full on????

I came across a couple of lowtimers the never did........scary thought to me.....

hey kyle ur new pages take forever to start up.....maybe loose a couple pictures....

OK here goes again!

I know how to do power checks for the aircraft I fly,I was just after information on the different ways the drivers out there are doing the checks. and no I dont fly A 206 but will be soon, just wanted I deas on what to expect.

If the answer is so simple how come no one can answer it

OK here goes again!

I know how to do power checks for the aircraft I fly,I was just after information on the different ways the drivers out there are doing the checks. and no I dont fly A 206 but will be soon, just wanted I deas on what to expect.

If the answer is so simple how come no one can answer it

2pwrr....read my post carefully. I don't think anyone here was questioning your ability or trying to be critical, your question may seem " that simple" but the answer is more complex. Are you flying, or going to be flying commercially? Then if you are going to be working for a commercial operator, the company training pilot and or C.P. will be giving you initial company training. Are you endorsed already? Company ops manual will state type endorsement training requirements. If you are trying to pickup quick tips here on the forum(s), fair enough, there a lots of excellent pilots out there with good advice.....there is also some out there with so-so advice..... Please consider this, stick with the basics and good habits you were hopefully taught, do not try to emulate someone elses bad ones and or short cuts, that could exceed your abilities and experience level.....respectfully H56

My personal rule for confined area work regardless of what type of aircraft is simple. If you cannot HOGE you do not commit to any hole or confined area period. vertical takeoff and landing capability should be assured prior to confined area operation. For the 206 it depends on the driver and how smooth you are with the stick. Some individuals can vertical a 206 with 10% torque over IGE hover power required.

You will get suckered into the old "well if can just get in there and get rid of some weight i am good to climb back out" guess what - not! the customer never lands you in the right spot the fisrt time even with todays modern, fantastic gps! now your wollowing in the muskeg and no one wants to get out because they will get wet. the trees just seem to get bigger from this view!

You never ever "shoot for the tree tops" on an angled departure! This is a sure way to run out of idea's , options and clean underwear! Always pull full power from a 6" hover and go straight up, clearing the tops by at least 25' (most guys use 50' for mediums) , nose over gently and airspeed over altitude. This method will always get you home and give you a world full of options if and when the dash lights up yellow or red on a confined area departure!

best of luck!