Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ifr Question

Herman Nelson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Blades on that one..........

Vectors baby, vectors.

Also, how many non standard holds has ATC asked you too do lately.......while you have been on fire, with no auto-pilot while you ice up. :wacko::wacko:

Thanks for all the replies.

It's seems the majority of you lean toward continuing the approach.

In this scenario I had already crossed the beacon when it failed so I wasn't too concerned about navigating back to the final course as this can be done using published headings for the procedure turn, and the localizer for the intercept.

I was more concerned about being able to establish FAF passage inbound. As some of you mentioned some approaches have additional ways to indetify the FAF ex. DME or radial from a Navaid. Other approaches however only have the NDB as FAF.

Anyways, got a reply from an e-mail to transport, and they endorse continuing the approach using GP Integrity altitude as a way to establish fix passage inbound.

Cheers,

HN.

It pretty much comes down to this. Do you know where you are with the information you have in the pit or not? If its the FAF you have to be able to id it somehow. Somehow could include geting the helpful radar dude to tell you where you are after you tell him the usless thing is off the air.

I also have never had to do a full proceedure except on a ride. Remember the radar dude sees his job as removing your numbers safely from his screen. Expidite is the order of his day.

Maxtorque and Reddog go sit in the corner. If you tell everyone it is easy and fun pretty soon everyone will want to be an IFR weenie. Or is it Homo? As in Homo milk...not the other kind of Homo whcich may offend some people.....which is the last thing Duece would want to do. :rolleyes: