Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bcfs Moutain Course.

Zebo

I had my licence for 2.5 years and didnt touch a helicopter that whole time.

I did a mountain course at 107 hours and found it helped me out with alot of skills.

I learnt alot of new things actually a ton of new things. It was a little over welming but so was the first 100 hours.

Learning to fly int the mountains will teach you the respect they deserve when working in them.

I know a few guys who did mountain courses at 100hrs one walked into a job within a few months (right place right time). The other 6 months later.

I can't tell you it will get you a job. But I do know it would help, it is just weather you decide to spend the money and do it or not, You will continue to get mixed reviews, but it comes down to you deciding to do it or not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twinstar,

I think you bring up a vaild point! The mountain training you get will be catered to your skill level! It is obvious that a 100 hour pilot is unable to perform along side a person with 2000 or 3000 hours on type! The CHW course I completed was great. Facts to remember, I had 3500 hours, was a company pilot, and was comfortable with what I was doing and who I was doing it with! We were shown all types of flying that wasn't regular with most of us, and still use those skills demonstrated today, and actually teach mountain flying to our own pilots!

Yes, you can apply mountain flying to all aspects of our business. It is a valuable course and an expensive one!

Hi Zebo,

If your are Looking for a Great Place to do some Mountain Training check out Bighorn Helicopters Flight School.

They Offfer a program thats Second to None, based at almost 4000ft asl.

This BCFS approved program is taught by a Very Experianced Mountain Pilot.

Good Luck

:punk:

Hey Zebu.....now u got a lic now what.......got to like that situation. Well depends on ur money situation.... My instructor always told me don`t waste ur money on a mountain course...when u flew a few hundered hrs and actually fly the aircraft get one then because it is actually of value to u because u understand in practice why and what the Aircraft is doing. Put the flying of the Helicopter in ur longterm memory of ur brain then they ur short term memory has space to add the Mountain course. I a few years I have to say he is right.

my five cent...

4000asl....???

This is an actual shot of a training flight out of penticton. I agree, all training is good. I may be a little biased, but my opinion is this is the palce to get your Mt. training.post-2291-1158450965_thumb.jpg And congrates' on your license. :up:

Oh yes..forgot to mention, double click the image and you will be able to read the altimeter, airspeed etc. I am not kidding when I say I was more than a little tense during this approach.

:) Hey Zebo....good job obtaining your rating....Lot's of good advice coming out of your thread here. Ultimately, if you have the funds for more training (and the time), like the Nike commercial say's, "just do it". As i do a fair amount of ab initio instructing during the winter months, my philosophy is to get students into the rocks asap, once a basic level of competency has been achieved. The benefits are noticeable, flying helicopters puts you, as the pilot into an ever changing environment. If i am going to get a student to do circuits, I do not want it to be at the same locale every time. I have noticed that changing the scenery so to speak, helps develope ones decision making process, the mind has to adjust to the terrain/geography changes. Throw in a hillside, lake and trees, and it forces one to "THINK" more as to how to accomplish that basic circuit, instead of the same open flat field. So my point/opinon here is you would not be wasting your money on a mountain course. The bottom line.... take all of the advice you get here, think about it.....then just go do what "you" would think would be the most "fun" (and educational) for your buck.....Happy (safe) Flying...H56 ;)

Collective,

I think that photo is great, it brings back some good memories flying the 206 in the rocks,

The 206 In my mind is the best machine to learn how to fly in the rock pile.

Some approaches can be tense, just keep that back door open. Always have a way out.

I have heard from many people that penticton offers a great course, I did my course with NMH in '96

I was taught by some great people there and learnt alot.

I found the mountain course helped me gain the next level of confidence to take me into the industry.

Maybe someone can answer a question for me about the mountain courses that are offered.

Do they offer any sort of operational training with the mountain time, like flying a sling load and doing some approaches with it to river beds, meadows etc?

Thanx firehawk. I enjoyed every second of my moutain training and would recommend it to anyone. It is spendy though. As far as long line training, Penticton does offer a good vertical reference course. Loads of approaches to various situations, including wee spots in the bush, river beds etc. Not to get off the topic here, in my humble opinion, a low time pilot might give thought to gleening more hours before the rigors (and expense) of a mountain course. There is a lot going on and little time to adjust. A lot to learn and when you are still honing your skills, heaping more on yourself could result in not getting the full benifet of what your instructor has to offer. YES>>>Always, always leave yourself a back door. Flying in the mountains, or in the wilds of Alberta where a bump in the road is cause for excitment, have a way out. Again, congrats of getting your license to learn how to fly a helicopter. (I have had mine for 17 years now, and I think I got some of it figured out)