Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bcfs Moutain Course.

Zebo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I could get out of the place was the back door.

Sudamo region southern Ethiopia near the Kenya border, flying with geological survey crew from Addis Abba.

Tree's went up to over 8 thousand feet. At about 9 thousand ft. density alt., I had a ridge that I used to land on below the summit, there was only one way in, I used to approach at 45 degrees, bank and go straight in. Take-off was back out and roll to the right. Did this for two weeks. This was with a 206B3.

In 76, working with WHO we used to hover to the edge of cliff's and nose over or drop off in 500C's, over 5 thousand ft.

North Yemen was also fun, with the airprt at 8 thousand ft. Temp in the morning would be freezing and 85 degree's by 1100.

Memories.

Cheers, Doon

I have heard that flying with said operator in penticton is good training, but also quite pricey...

I would love to do my mountain course here, I was given some advice that I think could apply here once, If you have the money, go hop into one right away, come back in a few years time and do the same mountain course at a different company mabey, or even the same, its only money. I think if you got one straight off the CPL while the ink is still wet, you would definately have the advantage over another lowtimer, but If you cant take in all this info at once, wait a while, or if you have enough cash... BOTH you are bound to forget something may aswell make it stick

Cole B)

9000' hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

nope, the highest we get is about 6750'......

of course in a normally aspirated piston machine.......well.....

i'd say you are working it!! :up:

That is quite impressive getting those kind of altitudes out of the 300, as I remember my old 269B instructing days, back in the early 80's, 3,500' was pushing it.... :shock:

so going back to what cole said about doing the mountain course twice, is there a call then for 2 courses?? the 1st being geared to the new driver to teach the effects of things like sudden wind changes, pinnacles at an advanced level, etc. to give them a better feel for what the machine will do?? and a 2nd course more geared to the driver with a little more of the famous experience under the belt...

regardless, i think anyone would benefit from any kind of training under the eye of an experienced mountain IP...

and just out of curiosity, who among the older drivers did their course with bud tillotson??

4000asl....???

This is an actual shot of a training flight out of penticton. I agree, all training is good. I may be a little biased, but my opinion is this is the palce to get your Mt. training.post-2291-1158450965_thumb.jpg And congrates' on your license. :up:

Oh yes..forgot to mention, double click the image and you will be able to read the altimeter, airspeed etc. I am not kidding when I say I was more than a little tense during this approach.

I see you were on the upflow side.... ;)

hm