Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bcfs Moutain Course.

Zebo

TS ----- I did my check-out with Bud upon the start of my employment with Okie. I had the course years before elsewhere, but I'd waited a long time to go for a ride with that dude and thoroughly enjoyed listening to a "Master" and watching that "Master" work the a/c and the controls. Talk about someone being "ahead" of their a/c. I've had the distinct pleasure of knowing and watching some real great pilots during my career, but I'll be damned if I know of any who were more "one with the a/c" than Mr. Bud Tillotson in the mountains.

He had instructed so many CAF pilots on their mountain courses over the years, that some years later the CAF sent him a personal invite down to Gagetown, NB because they held him in such high regard. They gave him the "cook's tour" of everything and entertained him and wifey to the best of their abilities and at THEIR expense. They also had him up and at the controls of one of their a/c at their gunnery range and that put a smile on his face for years after.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my commercial one with Bud, too, back in '72, although I already had about 1K hours in the rocks on 47's. Have to agree that Bud was 'the Man.'

:up:

As to whether or not a new grad should do the mountain course, I realized early on that the way I learned the most was to demand the most of myself (this was, of course, supported by training on the venable S51). And, by the way, there is no 'BCFS course.' BCFS simply approve syllabii of operators electing to provide the courses which will provide pilots approved to fly for them. B)

TS ---- he was hard to miss with that well-worn old stetson and whenever you entered any kind of building or home and saw that stetson, you knew he was present . Let's say that it was "well-worn" and and had it own kind of "distinctiveness".......just like its' owner. I also guarantee that you would have enjoyed his company supposing you never ever sat in any a/c with him because he was a very unassuming and modest gentleman concerning his abilities.