Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

When Would You...

...set off the ELT intentionally.

I was just reading the stories Mike offers and read about the two pilots who had engine troubles and set off their ELT.

What would it take for you to set of yours? Under what circumstances would you deem it to be enough of an "emergency"?

I myself would need to be in a life threatening situation with no radio cantact whatsoever before I would go to the extreme of involving Search and rescue. I don't know their full story, so it's hard to figure out their concerns totally.

Guest bag swinnger

The Machines that we are currently operating have a remote ELT switch on the dash. I would not hesitate to use it in an emergency such as an (engine failure). activating it before I was on the ground. assuming that I was in a remote area.

:) For those that still have/read an AIP, section SAR 3.5 states, If you have landed to wait out bad weather, or for some other non-emergency reason, and no emergency exists, do not activate your ELT. However, if the delay will extend beyond: (1) Flight Plan - 1 hour; or (2) Flight Itinerary - the SAR time specified, or 24 hours after the duration of the flight, or the ETA specified. To avoid an unnecessary search, notify the nearest ATS unit of your changed flight plan or itinerary. If you cannot contact an ATS unit, attempt to contact another aircraft on one of the following frquencies in order to relay the information; (1) 126.7MHz, (2) local common VFR frequency, (3) local common IFR listed in CFS, (4) 121.5MHz, (5) HF 5680 kHz if so equipped. If you cannot contact anyone, a search will begin at the times mentioned above. At the appropriate time, switch your ELT to "ON", and leave it on until search crews locate you.....Your company ops manual also, should spell out procedures also relevante to your type(s) of operation(s)...... ;)

Helilog56 is 100% correct. Also, once you turn it on, leave it on. It's very frustrating for search and rescue to chase intermittent ELT's. As well, don't delay turning it on if the weather wherever you are is bad. That can lead to SAR crews searching your entire route once you are overdue instead of concentrating on where a signal is drawing them to. If the weather is too bad for them to spot you, at least they can localize you and possibly send in ground SAR.

If you are airborne with a situation that is reasonably sure to put you on the ground, definitely turn it on as soon as you can if there is a way to do that. There is a better chance of someone hearing it the higher the altitude as well as getting some signal out before the possible fire, sinking, or other destruction that might render the box useless in the immediate future. Also, if your aircraft happens to have a 406 ELT, then the GOES weather satellites will pick up the signal immediately and alert search and rescue of your plight.

:)

In a remote area with a machine that is grounded due to a problem with no radio contact I would be turning on the ELT for sure...save a lot of time in the rescue and also distress for relatives involved wondering what has happened, these guys were picked up by 6pm, good effort from the rescue machine

Cheers TT :up:

Helilog56 pretty much nailed it.............

if a student was to end up sitting on a gravel bar back in the hills broken down, i teach my students to utilize every other option (i.e 126.7 and try for an airliner ect) then if all else fails, turn it on and leave it on until help arrives!