Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chl Ems Pilots Certified

The union would not have happened if EMS senior management actually addressed the issues that have been presented to them time and time again. Now they will have to deal with our concerns through a federally enforcable legal process. Having our concerns dealt with and treating us with some respect is the motivation. Most of us, more like almost all of us ARE NOT union types, however; this is the step we have had to take.

If you want the issues, work in the system and the issues will quickly come to light. This isn't the place to go public with our positions, that's what the process is for.

Well done to the pilots across our EMS system :up:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off, thanks for the PM's guys and let me say this:

i don't mean to be a ****..(no pun intended :P )... it's only my opinion. hey, if this is the road you guys want to go down so be it. i really do wish you all the best of luck.

so let's use this as a learning tool for the industry as a whole and not a battlefield.

this isn't "justhelicopters" and thank the Lord for that :up: :up: but let's leave that alone :P

cheers,

412driver

The fact that there are Low Timers out there painting fences, mowing grass and sweeping hangar floors tells us all that there is something desperately wrong with our industry.

We all allow the operators to abuse beginners that just subsidized those same operators to the tune of $40,000 for a license to provide them with a qualified labour pool and then the operator has the nerve to say" you're lucky to have a job".

Of course, that type of treatment doesn't stop just with the Low Timers. It is usually the type of treatment that the entire staff can expect (unless you happen to have the goat pictures).

If it takes a union to improve the standard of treatment, then so be it. The operators have only themselves to blame. No one would go to all the trouble of organizing a union just for the **** of it.

Disclaimer: No. I have never been an abused low timer and except for a short time when Shirley Air went T/U (due to the NEP) I have been continuously employed by a variety of operators, both good and bad.

Congratulations to the EMS guys! Well done. I can only hope that your action is a catalyst to those of us over in the International scene.

I read a lot of sceptics here regarding unions...but wherever unions have been certified, have any employees ever decided to shed the union?? Must be doing something right eh?

As far as the 'you signed on knowing the conditions' arguement,...what?...Is that some sort of excuse not to improve things?

The rotary wing industry will probobly evolve along the same lines as our fixed wing breathern. Major players will organise first, followed by the 'regionals' and the 'mom and pop' shops will always welcome those 'rugged anti-union' sorts!

I just can't see a union letting their members go for a tour, 4 or 6 weeks, on call 24 hrs, so on and so on. It has gotten better than it used too be when a person was able to fly 200 hrs a month, but that was rewarded with flt pay. A union works with structured shifts and salaries like ems or commuter. How can it work in the bush (2 weeks in 2 weeks out 8 hrs a day) if you are working on flt pay, I don't think it will fly!

Remember when Alberta forestry introduced the reduction in flt/duty times 12 to 10 down to eight a day until you reset. I remember how that cut into my revenue. Who would absorb these losses until it stabalizes?

Maybe hourly pay is a bad way to pay pilots (have you ever seen the way logging or rock truck drivers drive, that's because they are getting paid by the mile).

When you think about it, hourly pay is not a fair way to pay. Why should you get paid less than another equally qualified and experienced pilot just because he got on the high flying contract. You are both ready to work all day, everyday but one of you gets paid more.

Why should you get paid less than another equally qualified and experienced pilot just because he got on the high flying contract. You are both ready to work all day, everyday but one of you gets paid more.

You should be getting paid less than the pilot who's flying 10 hrs a day because you're obviously not working as hard if you only flew 2 hrs compared to his 10 but also, your aircraft didn't bring in as much revenue as his/hers did. Those aircraft and the pilots by the way, are what brings in the money so that the apparently "draconian" operators can pay the said pilots the salaries they so desperately seek.

I'm glad the EMS sector got their wish, assuming they were getting treated like #### (they have yet to explain what those issues are, as it were...) but I highly doubt the union will make its way to the mainstream helicopter industry in Canada, we simply don't need it. There are plenty of operators who treat their emplyees like gold and most of them are constantly on the lookout for good longterm potential employees (you know, the kind that thinks making $80000-100000/year is a good salary, they're also the kind of employee that don't spend their time stirring the #### pot complaining about the idiotic little things and wishing they were members of a union so they could sit on their *** and not worry about getting fired!)