Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone ever pick up anything Intersting?

fflyer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell Boy, you reminded me of an interesting 'pick' in days of yore. Flying a Bell 47 just south of the NWT border and Fort Liard with two geologists, spotted a wing with a red star on it down through the trees. Circled and found it to be a wrecked twin-engine warplane, and those red stars obviously made it one of the 'lend-lease' aircraft the U.S. ferried across to the Russians during WWII.

We landed a couple of hundred yards away and slogged through the brush to the ship. It turned out to be a Douglas A20 'Attack' aircraft, and was completely armed with 50 caliber machine guns (no ammo, of course). I got the registration plate and the face off the airspeed indicator, while the younger of the geologists decided he had to have a 50 cal. for the mantle over his fireplace. It made a pretty heavy cargo rack load, but we got out of the hole OK.

That fall I contacted the USAF and told them about the find. They advised that it was one of a flight of six that had an engine failure in a thunderstorm en route to Alaska, for Russia. The crew all bailed out, and were picked up by US Army Corps of Engineers folks that were working on the Alaska Highway.

Kind of wish I had that 50 cal now. B)

downwash I am still looking for a find like that, great story.

Twinstar you are right, dynamic rollover was high on my mind. This happened after about 15 takeoffs and landings in 2 hrs of flying. I let my passenger out with it still spooled up, and of course being an operator he screwed off before I could get him to chip it off. By this time I was sitting full weight on it for about 5-10 min so figured if they were going to bust loose they would have done it by now. Although that was the longest 2 min cooldown in history! Took about 10 gal of hot water and a little elbow grease to clean them right off.

have a good one

Bell Boy

and sorry Twinstar, to keep this from happening again I would, have my passenger clean it off as we went along. The wells we were going to were mostly new lease sites, I hounded the oil company for pads or timbers to land on and they got crews to build helipads at all the new wells. It was just a cold enough day with lots of soft mud.

Bell Boy

Never did pick it up but dearly regret it. When I was flying for Sealand many moons ago out of Goose Bay there was an old Piasakie that had crashed on a direct track between Goose and Naine. I landed near it one day to see what was left of it.Planed to go back one day and get the pilots seat collectiv and pedals and put them in my den or something but it never happened. Bummer.. But I did get a shite load of 50 cal sheels from an old B36 that crashed out side of Goose. Once the word got out the military and the cops went back and got the remaining gun out of the plane. I believe it resides in the Bulldog Club or the Mac club in Goose Bay..

Cheers and good Day Mini..........