Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Going Flying!

Norm

I remember my brain being completely numb after about the first 20 minutes, my shirt was soaked in sweat and I had a very impressive imprint in my hand from th the cyclic but apart from that ....... :up: GOOD TIMES just make sure you enjoy every minute of it while you have no commercial pressure on you

Cheers TT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try to get over the "wholly **** im really doing this stage" quickly as it will help with confidence and you will remember more. if you work hard I bet you could pull off your first solo in 2 weeks easy. consistancy is key, in the pattern anyway, when I was doing my circuits I had my consistancy commented on that I was doing a very good job of keeping the same process, keep in mind im a private fw guy though. and if you have time, keep me updated on what its like :up:

Cole :punk:

This is nuts, first week is over but no flying done. Logistical problems are guming up the works for a few days on the machines. But I am going to ground school. I don't know how the heck I am going to do this?? It is hard stuff I didn't expect it to be easy but articulated heads, lead & lag blades causing lift diffrences on the each side, hinges with flapping blades. I am reading reading reading and some of this stuff is making sense and alot more isn't. I am getting very confused. How did all you manage to make this stuff come together before the TC exams??

Thanks Dan

Heres the trick, it doesnt have to make sense- just memorize it :shock: all kidding aside, i find alot of theory makes more sense once you start flying. you will beable to put it in prespective

Where are you going to school?

Cole B)

Hello Norm,

Don't know weather your school has an AMO or not to do maintenance, but if all the parts and what they do are confusing, just go and give an engineer a hand. watch what he does and ask questions. These guys are who you want to talk to about what happens up there with all the parts. Have a look at maintenance manuals and all the rest of the books.

Saying that, that is more something to do when you have not got the stress of learning to fly. First things first you want to be a pilot, learn to fly, and learn what you have to keep you and your pax safe, ie a good D.I. later if you want learn the finer points go give an engineer a hand. They usually have beer stashed somewhere.

good luck and have fun

cheap tuesdays

I am reading reading reading and some of this stuff is making sense and alot more isn't. I am getting very confused. How did all you manage to make this stuff come together before the TC exams??

Read your text books over and over again, it's the only way to do it. When I was training me and my classmates spent every waking moment in the books...when we weren't out flying or home sleeping. Spend a minimum of 8 hours a day pouring through the books and you'll breeze thru the final exam. Make yourself some practice exams too out of anything you're having a hard time getting into your head. Also might want to get a study group going with your class mates for the week-ends.

Like Cole said, just focus on commiting everything to memory first. The understanding of what you learn will follow.

Also make sure you get enough rest. Learning to fly helicopters is a very exhausting undertaking. Aim for at least 8 hours of shut-eye.

Just remember it isn't you vs the helicopter. It's you vs yourself and the helicopter is the referee. :up:

Guest bag swinnger
This is nuts, first week is over but no flying done. Logistical problems are guming up the works for a few days on the machines.

The first lesson I learned in school was to be patient, as this will be a constant throughout your career. There will be weather, maintenance, too much staff, to wet, too cold, too much snow, not enough snow ect. a constant gumming up the works.

be pateint, work hard, have fun.