Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Going Flying!

Norm

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read your text books over and over again, it's the only way to do it. When I was training me and my classmates spent every waking moment in the books...when we weren't out flying or home sleeping. Spend a minimum of 8 hours a day pouring through the books and you'll breeze thru the final exam. Make yourself some practice exams too out of anything you're having a hard time getting into your head. Also might want to get a study group going with your class mates for the week-ends.

Like Cole said, just focus on commiting everything to memory first. The understanding of what you learn will follow.

Also make sure you get enough rest. Learning to fly helicopters is a very exhausting undertaking. Aim for at least 8 hours of shut-eye.

Just remember it isn't you vs the helicopter. It's you vs yourself and the helicopter is the referee. :up:

8 hours study a day :shock: Geeeezzzz don't scare the man. Even at my study peak I could only manage 1-4 hours. :D

The way I found to study was to read the topic and summarize it. Take only the relevant information and write it down.

Write a summary of the topic. The very act of writing down helps commit it to memory. And as my instructor said builds muscle memory. The only muscle memory I ever built…..er I digress.

Do 1-1.5 hours of study after that the brain is not as receptive. Then and this is important take a break and not a five minute break a real break 30minutes minimum; often it would turn into a couple of hours but thats my lazy arse.

I’d go for a run the air clears your head and without distractions what you learned sinks deeper into the gray matter. Do whatever you do to relax its like a reward. Then back to books and it all doesn’t seem that bad.

I’d pin up my summaries around my room and when ever in my room I’d glance at them and have a quick read.

I also made visual drawings of things like weather minima, light signals, steps for a auto, control zones, VOR, turn slip indicator all the stuff you have to know. Pin them up in your room and glance at them whilst studying and they will sink right in.

And the last thing I did which I learned as an engineering apprentice was to get a little notebook (one that fits in a shirt pocket) and write down the absolutely most import procedures in it. I would make up acronyms of the R22 emergency procedures. Like L E K S E IF 40 8 T (Can anyone guess which R22 Emergency procedure this one is) Keep it with at all times and then have a read when watching the tele or on the bus.

Hope this helps if not the kiss my …… :P

I am from New Glasgow, NS (saw it asked above). I did VOR tracking on the sim for the last two days. I am getting pretty good at it and will practise some more on microsoft flight sim. As for the helicopters I should be flying early next week :D . The studying has gotten easier, I have a really good ground school instructor who knows his stuff and how to teach it. Things are looking up maybe I can even finish my license around March.