Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Far West 206 Crash At Stave Lake

vortex

Heard it was the pilots first day working there. That really sucks. Looking at 407D's link to the FarWest website, they also offers tours where the dual controls get put in and you get to try flying a helicopter! :shock: Are they an FTU? There's no mention of instructor, just "highly experienced pilot"...hmmm... :blink:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why we still put up with this crap from BCFS. If this was a location that was being visited on a long term why didn't they put up more bouys. In heli-skiing you have to have a minimum of 2 flags to land at the drop-off site don't they.

Heard it was the pilots first day working there. That really sucks. Looking at 407D's link to the FarWest website, they also offers tours where the dual controls get put in and you get to try flying a helicopter! :shock: Are they an FTU? There's no mention of instructor, just "highly experienced pilot"...hmmm... :blink:

Have you ever gone for a ride in a C-172 or C-150, doesn't it have dual controls? Whats the big deal. Its not as if your passenger just landed from an Arab state and has this ideal of looking foward to finding the promised 40 virgins or something.

Have you ever gone for a ride in a C-172 or C-150, doesn't it have dual controls? Whats the big deal. Its not as if your passenger just landed from an Arab state and has this ideal of looking foward to finding the promised 40 virgins or something.

Maybe Alpine, Yellowhead and Niagra will be putting duals in their tour machines too??? My guess would be not.

the "mountain course" is not a Transport Canada recognized course. therefore farwest is able to give the training so having the duals in is not a problem.

if yellowhead, alpine or niagra care to give that training that also wouldn't be a problem..........

that being said, it would not be worthwhile if BCFS doesn't recognize the course, in farwest' case it does recognize their course!

i remember being a wide eyed kid flying a 47 on floats and boy was i glad to have downwash beside me teaching me the ropes :up:

412Driver the mention of trying to fly a helicopter with dual controls is in the "sightseeing" part of the website, not the "advanced training" portion and it seems to be directed at non licenced pilots. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding about that.

Yes, V'tex and 412D, and isn't it common practice in FW schools to give 'famil' rides that allow the customer to manipulate the controls? Whatever! The day we're so hard up for revenue we have to risk something stupid by allowing 'God knows who' on the controls is the day I'll do a circuit inverted. :o

T'were fun, weren't it, Rob? B)

"The day we're so hard up for revenue we have to risk something stupid by allowing 'God knows who' on the controls is the day I'll do a circuit inverted"

just finished reading the latest Vertical so i understand the comment......

some nice equipment there DW... :up:

yup DW...it was. one can't remember every flight in ones career but those are etched in the grey matter forever...... :up: :up:

I had just met a Farwest pilot a couple of weeks ago along the Coqihalla hwy. He was flying support for Transwest and Cpt. Jim. We ended up chatting for a half hour.

Hopefully everyone is okay.