Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Landing on water

T tail

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, skidz... although i'm sure i've seen them on JR's too... :up: B)

The little metal triangle acts like a surf board and prevents the tail fin from entering the water on contact. If one tries hard enough nothing will stop the tail rotor from making contact with the water.

Another trick for the start up and shut down portion get your customer to hold the nose while he might be knee deep in water or crouched down on a rock outcrop. This is what I did before I was trained on the procedure when you didn't have the convienence of a guinee pig.

TS --- although not seen too much anymore, there is a small metal tab that is attached to the end of the T/R blades of a float-equiped R/W. Should that tab even touch the water slightly, then it bends and gives an indication that a "no, no" has taken place. That T/R (without that tab) can in fact touch the water slightly and not transmit that feeling to the rudder pedals and therefore give no outwards appearance that it has done so.

Touching down with the nose of the floats first, is something that I put into the same category as doing the same thing with the floats on a F/W aircraft........."you don't wanna go there friend. Do so and I suggest strongly that you'll do it only ONCE and your anal orifice will not open for a week or more because that means you were "nose down" on touch-down. With a little forward motion........well, make sure the Life Vest is definitely secured properly. :lol:

Ahh Water Ops...! Some beasties are made for it and others aren't!

In the Sea Machine, it is easier than landing on 'earth' or the floatie thing (ship) the Navy rides in.

post-1319-1158862166_thumb.jpeg

post-33-1158875319_thumb.jpg

Talk about sloap ground landing. I would think that this one is out of limits a bit. Tell the driver up front to turn the ship the other way.

Ahh Water Ops...! Some beasties are made for it and others aren't!

In the Sea Machine, it is easier than landing on 'earth' or the floatie thing (ship) the Navy rides in.

post-1319-1158862166_thumb.jpeg

post-33-1158875319_thumb.jpg

These must be very old archived pics. I thought that these machines didn't or couldn't fly any more. Well as the pics depict there not flying either! :huh:

Oh well its only a matter of time now before they get the S-92s

• 2 weeks later...