Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Underwater Escape Training for pilots

vortex

What do you guys think of Underwater Escape Training for pilots??

What do you guys think of Underwater Escape Training for passengers??

I never had the course before getting into the IFR game and it makes me wonder what kind of a difference it would have made had I gone into the H2O. Seems to me that for a very few dollars you can greatly increase your chances of surviving.

ttf

P.S. Great picture BAH. Thanks.

I've taken an underwater egress course and think its an excellant way to train for what you really don't want to happen...ALL our customers that would be flying on floats that season were also invited to attend the training. A few did join in and found it beneficial as well. Issues come up during the training that you wouldn't think are a problem, actually can be big problems. Just try being upside down in the water, blindfolded(simulating dirty water) and try and find a door handle.

Helilog56, I also heard $650.00/hr and $0.69/liter for fuel :down: What year is it anyway???

I've also done the underwater egress training and found it too be quite an eye opener. In the swimming pool the water is warm and it's still a bit shocking, Can't imagine the ocean or a cold river/lake! And yes the blindfolded, upsidedown, locked door trick is disconcerting to say the least. Kinda makes one wonder, The trees or the shoreline??

Another threads worth of opinions I'm sure.

Hopefully the woman pulls through and makes out OK.

and don't forget the difference in swimming around in your speedo as opposed to your work boots, jeans, jacket, sweater, etc... plus just the adrenalin reaction from just having been in the occurence...

my wishes for the pax's recovery as well!!

Mix in a touch of hypothermia and it can get ugly fast. Really, really hope she pulls through okay. Be safe out there near water (and mountains).

Also ProAviation also does a very affordable course out in Langley by the airport at the local wave pool. For "any" pilot working over water, underwater egress should be a must. A buddy of mine was operating a 204 out in Saskatchewan (Laronge area) back in 98 on fires. He had just dropped off a NRO and was to go bucketing. He had noticed one of his longlines looking a little worse for wear at the swage and elected to go out with only a 50' line. On approach to his water source, which by his admission, was quite hot, he started to pull power and the collective locked up.....in haste he pushed back down on the collective then yanked up again, but as you can imagine ran out of room and struck the water. He states that 2 things saved his life.....his flight helmet because of the violence of the impact, and you guessed it, his prior commercial diving skills. Once the machine came to a rest on the bottom upside down, he was in zero visibility. The machine sank slightly on the murky bottom, that and along with the fuselage being so twisted, no doors would open. He had his presence of mind to stay orientated and calm, and found that his logging window at the cutout hole had shattered slightly making the opening just large enought to squeeze through, ripping most of his flight suit, which he wore for several more years. Ask yourself, would you have the presence of mind to be able remain calm for that duration in zero visibility trapped? Upon investigation, it was determined that when the NRO dude got out of the aircraft the seat belt was not secured properly, and it hadd found it's way over the collective. The pilot was sure he had seen him secure it , but figures it must not have been clasped properly. Also he had mentioned if he had been using his 150' line he felt he would have been able to recover, as he did feel the collective feel normal after pushing down and pulling back up.......Put yourself in that cockpit under those conditions, then ask youself....should i consider underwater eggress? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i have done the training twice. once in a pool and once in salt water ( subic bay, philippines). :up:

i emphatically endorse this training for ANYONE that flies over ANY water. even if you are right along the shoreline bucketing, the stove quits? you will be wet! :shock:

getting your company to pay for it is another matter! :angry: