Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Question For Instructors

Ryan

Just a quickie I thought I'd fire off. What's the difference between the different class of instructors? I think I remember reading it has to do with the number of students they've trained, as well as the success rate of those students passing the flight test on the first try. Is that right?

Could someone fill me in, just curious.

A real quick answer......

Class 4 - must be supervised by a class 1 or 2

Class 3 - can work at a FTU unsupervised.

Class 2 - Can run a FTU as the CFI

Class 1 - Can give a pilot a Class 4

It has been a while since I have instucted abnitio, am I off the mark here any 412.

Just to expand that a bit Ryan...Class 4 requires...250 hrs (min.) pic R/W, 15 hrs Instrument time, 25 Hrs of Ground school, 30 hrs airtime with a class 1 Instructor, 70% pass on HIRAF & FIREN exams.

Class 3.....have obtained 300 hrs ab initio instructing experience (as a class 4) and may work unsupervised.

Class 2.....500 hrs (min.) working as an instructor and have done at least 10 recommendations. (can work as CFI)

Class 1.....750 hrs (min.) can work as CFI and train for class 4.

This is just a brief summary of course..... :)

Edited by Helilog56

Isn't there are rule too that if X number of students fails their flight test on the first try their instructor get bumped down a notch in their Class rating?

At the school where I am, if too many students fail their checkrides, the instructor won't have to worry as much about TC as they will about the CI and the ops mgr... :unsure:

Class 3.....have obtained 300 hrs ab initio instructing experience (as a class 4) and may work unsupervised.

Has this changed? I thought a Class 4 had to achieve 100 hours of abinitio training to become a Class 3.

I understand the structure may change sometime in the future. The Class 4 will be done away with and new instructors issued a Class 3, which will be valid for the current 2 years. The new Class 3 will still have to be supervised until 100 hours is gained but they won't have to recommend 3 solos or 3 flight tests.

The Class 2 might be allowed to give up to 10 hours of flight instruction to a new Instructor candidate under the supervision of a Class 1. ( sort of a Class 1 Padawan)

As to when or if this change will come is anyone's guess though.

RH1

everyone is pretty much on the mark. just a couple points:

"Class 4 requires...250 hrs (min.) pic R/W, 15 hrs Instrument time, 25 Hrs of Ground school, 30 hrs airtime with a class 1 Instructor, 70% pass on HIRAF & FIREN exams"

if you have an ATPL then you only need 20 hours airtime with the class 1. i found this out AFTER! :angry:

"Isn't there are rule too that if X number of students fails their flight test on the first try their instructor get bumped down a notch in their Class rating?"

i believe the number is 5 in a row and you get a visit from MOT for "discussions"

Latest news from the refresher seminar is that the class 4 instructor rating will be discontinued. New instructors will be an 'apprentice' class 3, with all the recommends/hour requirements remaining the same. The only difference will be that the CFI, not TC will endorse the applicant for a full class 3.

This leaves it at the CFI's discretion wether the instructor is ready for an upgrade, as opposed to the automatic '100 hrs/3 solos/3 flight tests' upgrade.

Also in the proposed changes is that a class 2 instructor may conduct up to 10 hours of instruction to new instructors, to sort of 'get their feet wet' as a class 1 instructor. The remaining instruction will have to be done by a class 1 though.

Also proposed were new licences for sometime in 2007; passport-style with similar security features. The idea was to keep in line with ICAO, as well as eliminating the need to issue a new licence with every endorsement or address change. Exciting times :punk: