Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Forestry Requirements Changing?

I heard something about either BC or AB forestry requirements changing in the next few years. The major change was all A/C must have a GPS tracking system in each A/C.

Can anyone confirm this? If so, when are the changes to be implemented?

Guest CHEVY II

Haven't heard being on the east coast but it is a smart idea/request.

Both of our machines have been equipped for the last year.

It's an invaluable tool in the event you go missing or if the customer wants to track the progress of the days work if you so chose to give them access to the site, plus you have a Sat. Phone.

SaT Trax Link

I guess you were not on fires in kamloops this summer.I arrived at work to find a black panel on my dash. I was told it was a tracking system.It had its own power and weighed less than .5 of a lb.If that is allit is no problem.If we have to install multi piece units that area pain that is a problem. Just what I think..

Aparently AFS and BCFS have been having meetings with Contrail. I guess they're developing different uniforms for different duties. For example, you will wear your captains uniform when flying any supervisory personnel, a fire fighters uniform while bucketing including the helmet (good luck getting your head out the window), a taxi drivers uniform while moving crews and truckers garb when moving gear. All uniforms will be nomex and will be fastened with velcro (like a strippers costume) for quick changes.

Oh yeah, there was something about remaining 1 nm from open flame and 2000 feet from smoke. :punk: ;) :up:

Keep your stick on the ice and remember.....it doesn't cost anything to pay attention!!!

VNE

We stuck our hand in the air when asked if we wanted to keep one in an aircraft for the summer. No problems with the unit until we left the province... and it's kinda nice to know someone has a real time idea of just where you are. One can go online and check the location of the aircraft as the tracking page was available online...don't ask me what the address is but I could look it up next time in the hanger.

As for changed BCFS requirements who knows I do know they would prefer to police the current requirements for experience through an audit process as opposed to registration...who knows??

Aparently AFS and BCFS have been having meetings with Contrail. I guess they're developing different uniforms for different duties. For example, you will wear your captains uniform when flying any supervisory personnel, a fire fighters uniform while bucketing including the helmet (good luck getting your head out the window), a taxi drivers uniform while moving crews and truckers garb when moving gear. All uniforms will be nomex and will be fastened with velcro (like a strippers costume) for quick changes.

Oh yeah, there was something about remaining 1 nm from open flame and 2000 feet from smoke. :punk: ;) :up:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha hee hee hee hee hee ho ho ho!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed a lot at this one VNE... especially the velcro stripper costumes... maybe someone can start up "Full Monty Choppers"...

HV

Edited by Harmonic_Vibe

I guess really my question was this:

If AB or BC Forestry do implement the GPS tracking systems, are they also going to increase their tariffs to compensate the owners for purchasing, installing and paying the monthly fees to operate them? :huh:

VNE, as for 'dressing up the pilots', I think this is a non-issue. It is unrealistic to impose this new policy and does nothing to enhance the pilot's skills. I hope owners and HAC will do something to push back on that issue.