Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Converting Canadian License To American License

chopper

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need the medical for the license to be valid. If you get ramp-checked (which happens a lot in the US as compared to here) and don't have a valid medical, then your license is worthless. If you have a chance to get it done stateside, do so. It'll cost you about 50-60 USD. I had mine renewed at the same time as my TC medical here in Montreal, thinking it would be cheaper. I was soooo wrong. It cost me 200 bucks for both (ne EKG, no sonogram)... :down:

...no fat chicks...

the numbers are a little inaccurate with regards to the flight time etc.

you must have a canadian nite rating (10 hours)to get a us lic. the faa commercial lic. automatically come with "nite". your us lic. will not say "day vfr only" - there is no such thing. all us commercial pilots are qualified to fly at nite.

you do 3 hours of dual instruction (us min.) and a flight test.

i did mine in washington. 3 days total including medical. $3,000 usd. (medical fee, test fee, exam fee, jetranger fee etc.)

check out chinook in cyxx as previously mentioned and you don't even have to cross the border.

make sure all your taliban paperwork checks out first.

Hola

Here is a bit more info for you.

Your Canadian cpl will get you an FAA ppl as stated earlier. To get that to happen I believe you need to visit a FAA office to fill out the necessary paperwork, not to mention go through the security screening/background check. You may be able to do it by mail but it is much faster to go to the office in person. (If you do everything in Abbotsford you can drive down to Renton WA and visit the office there) You need to have at least a second class FAA medical (or first) before you can do any of the flight tests. You also need to write the FAA commercial pilot exam (very similar to ours and yes the entire thing. Special consideration to the differences in airspace and procedures in the US). Again if you are in Abbotsford you can drive to Belingham and write the exam there. It is all done on the computer. (it is about an hours drive south) Once you have the ppl, you need to fly with a FAA instructor (Cathy at Chinook is one.) I believe you need at least three hours. When you have completed the required flight training and ground school she will sign you off and you are eligible for a cpl ride. She has a fella that comes up from Olympia to do the ride. As for the ride...it is not that bad..they emphasize a few different things than a MOT ppc but if you are current here you will have no problem.

Another thing to note. The night requirment is actually 25 hours. I believe if you fly part 91 down there you may be able to get away with 10 hours..but I am pretty sure you need 25 (that is what we have done) In order to fly part 135 which is charter ops you need 25 hours. (this seems to be the biggest obstacle for us canucks that never fly in the dark)

As for finding work...you either need to be employed for a canadian outfit that works down there under nafta (have to be employed for at least a year by that company) or get a green card (ie marry someone) Unfortunately they do not make it easy for us to just go down and apply...a work visa is needed and that is a tough thing to get. If you find a company down there that will sponsor you...that would definitely help.

The best thing to do is call Chinook, they will lay out the steps and hurdles for you. They will be very helpful

They will also verify the times needed.

Best of luck