Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Tail Of The Tiger (astar)

i hear ya vibee,

just pullin' yer hair out.

i prefer to think that the parts were not installed correctly or, due to a manufacturing defect (which created a world wide AD causing the fleet to be grounded!) were the reason they departed the aircraft. which would make the fact that we went down the runway in a pogo stick kinda manner totally irrelevant!!! :)

back to the original thread for the rest of us,

just because jam pedal procedure's dictate the regular use of the tail skid / stinger - this doen not mean it is to be used in daily operations...my thoughts, only my thoughts!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NG Limited, ...or should I say MGT Limited ( ??) are you still an unemployed vagrant towing a U-Haul, or has a mid sized all-Bell company offered you meaningful employment yet?

Great visit with NB, lots of good old OK stories traded, you should have been there :up:

Re: Astars, of all the great guys who flew the GCHS 350 contract over the years, only one guy made the 3-track approach on a regular basis, luckily, he never hurt himself, and now he flies a Vertol 107, so stingers in the snow are no longer an issue for him.

NG Limited, ...or should I say MGT Limited ( ??) are you still an unemployed vagrant towing a U-Haul, or has a mid sized all-Bell company offered you meaningful employment yet?

Great visit with NB, lots of good old OK stories traded, you should have been there :up:

407D

Wish I could have been there! Would have been some good stories. I am just keeping a low profile in Revy right now. Speaking of Revelstoke, was that you coming through here in your base 212 yesterday?

"has a mid sized all-Bell company offered you meaningful employment yet?" I will see you at the meetings next week in YLW! :up:

Cheers!

NG

People are never shown a few things when they get trained on Astars,that is what you are sitting like C/G wise as a single occupant low fuel senerio,the B2's on seismic,will come down straight and as the skids get a foot from the ground,the guy looking out front or through the nose at the mirror,won't notice that a slight aft movement of the cyclic will drop the tail in the grass,we picked up the pieces of a new B2 that the guy caught the tail rotor with the long line doing that same thing,and on a raised pad,I saw a B2 landing a tad nose high.and the blades barely missed the edge of the concrete pad...So I would take some video of the ship landing for the lighter drivers,so they see what the tail is doing when the move that stick at the last minute...good job for a safety officer..........

and secondly,pilots are never shown where the disk is centered,so they will know where abouts between their legs,the cyclic should be...I've seen alot of guys sitting on the ground with the disk a foot or 2 too low in the front,as they think it is centred,but they just need someone to slow them where neutral is looking at the disk from outside....