Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whop Whop Over Canmore

Mark_

Arrived home from work and kicked back with a cold one today. My place is just above the Canmore heliport so of course I can tell the difference between a 206 and 407 without even getting off the couch. But today, there was something different...big blades slapping the air which I rarely hear. Jumped off the couch and ran to the balcony, one of Alpines 212's circling for alititude then heading east...I wish I had known you were in town, I would have been hanging out on the picninc tables at Alpine to watch the show...to me what I heard was the sound of what a helicopter should sound like...thank you to whoever was behind the wheel.

Regards,

Mark

Something like this Cole ??

post-1996-1159210326_thumb.jpg

post-1319-1159210566_thumb.jpeg

post-1319-1159211393_thumb.jpeg

They will all start wandering off to their winter homes in less than a month.

Mark, with the extreme noise sensitivity in the Bow Valley, you won't see too many 212's arriving / Departing from the Canmore Helipad. The aircraft was on some exec tour of 6-7 sites in BC for the past 3 days. It headed east to drop the clients off at YYC and will return to the nest in YLW tomorrow.

Thanks 407D...extreme noise sensitivity, I could care less...one of the reasons I bought my condo in Canmore is that I can sit on my balcony and watch the 206's all summer on their approach. I know that many in Canmore do not share my admiration of what you guys do for a living. From my point, Apline is a thriving business attracting many tourist $$ to the Bow Valley and a class orginization. Everytime I hear a machine, I'm on my balcony, grinning from ear to ear.

Regards,

Mark

I moved west from Ottawa to be a ski bum 5 years ago.

I lived in Banff for 6 months, being a ski bum, and then got a real job in the oilpatch.

I enjoyed Canmore then, and appreciate it even more now.

I'm with Mark in terms of alpine being a part of the engine that drives Canmore's economy. Far too often, it's becoming about "locals" that have paid the inflated price for their "remote" escape from the city and don't want it despoiled by signs of human habitation. "I live here, so nobody else should be allowed to move in and ruin my perfect little town."

Most of the time, these people don't understand, or conveniently ignore the fact that #1 These operations were there before they were, and #2 These operations are the only chance that many people get to see the real beauty of K country and Banff park.

Although I personally prefer the sense of accomplishment that comes with sumitting a 8,9,or 10 thousand foot peak under human power (and love the silence, the view, and the rarified air)...I'm well aware that many people do not have the health, wilderness skills, or confidence to attempt that sort of thing. For them, a flight with Alpine is an accessible way of seeing what would otherwise would be limited to those who have invested "sweat equity" in the view.

Of course, my take on all of this is influenced by the fact that I really, truly LOVE the sound of a 212 (or 205/214). It's a loud, distinct, macho sound. It says "I'm a bloody helicopter, and I'll land ANYWHERE I want to." Sigh.

Same thing happens in Penticton guys, in all reality, who are they to comlain, OK started here in the what, 60's, if you have been here since before them, and still complain, well, if you hate it so much, leave, personally I dont even notice jetrangers anymore, Im addicted to a certain astar, and can here it miles away, the industry here is a LARGE part of Penticton's economy, if you figure they run like 5+ jetrangers on training, every student is pumping 130odd G's into penticton, not to mention cost of living.

ANYWAY, I also love the sound of a 212, its addicting, we had wildcat's down here doing training a while ago, I would sit and wait for it to go over in the circuit.

Cole B)