Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chopper Stopper

widgeon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The police will present a polished, expensive plan for corporations and individuals to donate cash for EC120B copters, made by the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co".

I don't remember this company, any of you?

post-865-1159215905_thumb.jpg

EADS,,,,,

It's like the Aviation equivalent of Nissan,(for all you GM lovers out there) :P

Hmm... which city is it that has had the most gun deaths this year?

this woman would be singing a different tune if some indo-canadian gang had shot up her minivan in a cross fire while she was driving home from work during rush hour on the DVP.

Ceeeeeripes. That all-over-the-board "story" smacks of private rant vs. responsible public journalism. From property taxes to corrupt cops and whup, whup, whup, I'm back in Saigon to depressed Americans who are "even" showing their courage? What a dumbass. :) As I've said before, ignorance is truly bliss; some folks just wear it better than others. The world's a stage! Ha!

its a shame this lady, as well as this group is misinformed, and/or uneducated about the benefits of having a helicopter flying over their city. Although there is some negatives, most will agree they are easily outweighed.

And it's also a shame that many of us, who know first hand the benefits, can only slam her and the group for their obvious shortcomings on valid information.

Perhaps we should take the time to send the group letters, and in a professional matter, explaing the benefits.

One matter that I would take offense to myself is unauthorized prying into my backyard activities, but as we know if you're not breaking the law, and are hiding nothing, why worry? But worry we should. Not sure how many of you have seen the US Coast guard video that taped a young couples amourous relationship aboard a jet ski. Perhaps they had some concerns about a jet ski drifting aimlessly offshore, but as soon as they realised what the couple were doing, they should have stopped. I don't do that sort of thing in my backyard, but I still would prefer the prying eyes to refrain, unless there is an evil doer hiding in my bushes, then I can greatfully thank them. To alleviate concerned citizens in matters such as these, the police forces should enact rules and guidelines that will protect them from obvious unprofessional conduct of those protecting us from the sky.

its a shame this lady, as well as this group is misinformed, and/or uneducated about the benefits of having a helicopter flying over their city.

And it's also a shame that many of us, who know first hand the benefits, can only slam her and the group for their obvious shortcomings on valid information.

Not sure how many of you have seen the US Coast guard video that taped a young couples amourous relationship aboard a jet ski.

To alleviate concerned citizens in matters such as these, the police forces should enact rules and guidelines that will protect them from obvious unprofessional conduct of those protecting us from the sky.

Blanket assumption/statement.

Blanket assumption/statement.

Private acts performed in public (and consequentially documented) do not signify nor warrant any claim to an invasion of privacy.

Agreed.

Police helicopter offer stirs debate

Nov. 18, 2005. 09:50 AM

TRACY HUFFMAN

CRIME REPORTER

Should Toronto police have a helicopter?

Some residents don't want the noise, it's not a top priority for the chief and the mayor doesn't like the idea of taking from a charity.

But a charitable organization called Regional Air Support and Rescue wants to give Toronto a $2 million helicopter. They also want to pick up the annual $1 million tab for fuel, maintenance and even a pilot so there is no cost to taxpayers.

"Helicopters can be an excellent tool," Chief Bill Blair said. "But the means by which we fund such a thing for the City of Toronto I think is something that also requires careful scrutiny."

But the chief — who said Toronto has borrowed choppers from Durham and York police services — is open to hearing ideas.

"My first priority is putting more police officers on the street," Blair said. "If I had enough police officers on the street and additional funds ... certainly I would consider helicopters a valuable investment."

Choppers are used by other forces in missing children cases, break-and-enter cases and car thefts.

Helen Armstrong, of Stop the Choppers, told the police services board yesterday that it is important to keep officers on the streets, interacting with residents. "Helicopter patrol in vulnerable neighbourhoods from above sounds a loud message that police don't want to interact with communities," she said.

Trevor Harness, president of RASAR and a former police officer, said the non-profit organization believes helicopter patrols help reduce crime.

But Armstrong doesn't agree. "The latest studies on police helicopters show they do not deter crime, nor are they useful in vehicle pursuits or high speed car chases," she said.

Other cities with helicopters like Calgary and Edmonton have seen many benefits, Harness said.

Mayor David Miller said he believes it's more important to have police officers on the street, but if the force did have a helicopter, it should be "publicly owned and run by the public."

Board chair Alok Mukherjee directed the board to make a report on the issue.

its a shame this lady, as well as this group is misinformed, and/or uneducated about the benefits of having a helicopter flying over their city. Although there is some negatives, most will agree they are easily outweighed.

Perhaps we should take the time to send the group letters, and in a professional matter, explaing the benefits.

One matter that I would take offense to myself is unauthorized prying into my backyard activities, but as we know if you're not breaking the law, and are hiding nothing, why worry? But worry we should. Not sure how many of you have seen the US Coast guard video that taped a young couples amourous relationship aboard a jet ski. Perhaps they had some concerns about a jet ski drifting aimlessly offshore, but as soon as they realised what the couple were doing, they should have stopped. I don't do that sort of thing in my backyard, but I still would prefer the prying eyes to refrain, unless there is an evil doer hiding in my bushes, then I can greatfully thank them. To alleviate concerned citizens in matters such as these, the police forces should enact rules and guidelines that will protect them from obvious unprofessional conduct of those protecting us from the sky.

Wasn't there a scene in Blue Thunder where the guys were hovering by this house where the woman put up a show of sorts and didn't realize that these cops were gauking at her? I'm sure that just the sound of an approaching chopper would be a deffinent turn off in the heat of the moment in the back yard with the better half!

Police helicopter offer stirs debate

Nov. 18, 2005. 09:50 AM

TRACY HUFFMAN

CRIME REPORTER

Should Toronto police have a helicopter?

Some residents don't want the noise, it's not a top priority for the chief and the mayor doesn't like the idea of taking from a charity.

But a charitable organization called Regional Air Support and Rescue wants to give Toronto a $2 million helicopter. They also want to pick up the annual $1 million tab for fuel, maintenance and even a pilot so there is no cost to taxpayers.

"Helicopters can be an excellent tool," Chief Bill Blair said. "But the means by which we fund such a thing for the City of Toronto I think is something that also requires careful scrutiny."

But the chief — who said Toronto has borrowed choppers from Durham and York police services — is open to hearing ideas.

"My first priority is putting more police officers on the street," Blair said. "If I had enough police officers on the street and additional funds ... certainly I would consider helicopters a valuable investment."

Choppers are used by other forces in missing children cases, break-and-enter cases and car thefts.

Helen Armstrong, of Stop the Choppers, told the police services board yesterday that it is important to keep officers on the streets, interacting with residents. "Helicopter patrol in vulnerable neighbourhoods from above sounds a loud message that police don't want to interact with communities," she said.

Trevor Harness, president of RASAR and a former police officer, said the non-profit organization believes helicopter patrols help reduce crime.

But Armstrong doesn't agree. "The latest studies on police helicopters show they do not deter crime, nor are they useful in vehicle pursuits or high speed car chases," she said.

Other cities with helicopters like Calgary and Edmonton have seen many benefits, Harness said.

Mayor David Miller said he believes it's more important to have police officers on the street, but if the force did have a helicopter, it should be "publicly owned and run by the public."

Board chair Alok Mukherjee directed the board to make a report on the issue.

I think that this woman hasn't seen a show of cops on TV where they are chasing a few guys and the guys on foot can see these guys hiding in the brush at night. However the chopper aided with its infrared camera guides the cop right to the guy to make the arrest. I think that video clip says it all! Plus a police helicopter would pretty well be on standby for emergencies 24/7. Not like us regular operators who can only fly day VFR thats when we are avalable and not out doing other charter work.

Edited by transientorque2