Why Do We Spend So Many Days Away?

what ever happened to honouring what you signed for. when you took the job, hopefully you asked what the rotations were. You signed all the paperwork to get the job, now live with what they offered and you accepted. If you find you are not in a position to take their offering, decline it. You have to roll the dice and take your chances. If you're in the minority, someone else will fill the spot gladly and you can freely move on to find that elusive perfect job you're looking for. If by luck, you're the tenth guy who has declined their offer, maybe they'll reconsider and give you a new offer.

Stop whining about where you're standing, you put yourself in that position by moving your own two feet.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!!! Some of you have a totaly unrealistic view of this industry! "I'm not home enough......... I don't make enough money...........blah blah blah!!!!!

You can't have your cake and eat it too people! If your employer tells you it would cost too much to implement a 2 and 2 rotation, maybe you should consider the true cost of doing so before whining that it's not a valid argument. 3 extra rotations a year per pilot, times 25 pilots at an average $2000 per rotation= $100000 a year. Did you ever think that he may have a valid point?

And what about the other half of the pilots that want to work 30 and 12 so they can make more cash? How is the ops manager supposed to balance each employee's rotation preference?

Also, don't forget that with that 2 and 2 rotation, you'll spend less time in the helicopter meaning less opportunity to make money. It only stands to reason that less time spent at work means less money no??? Are you willing to make less money in exchange for more time off????

If you don't like the bush life, then get a base job, there are plenty out there. You get to make between $60 to $80Ks a year and you're home every night. Oh but wait, you'd have to move to a remote location..... darn!

It's your choice to work away from your family, it's also your choice not to. You have no one but yourselves to blame for your situations.

P.S. Doesn't Alpine do 2 & 2? Why don't you send them a resume??!

B-I-N-G-O

I agree totaly about the whining after the deal has been done. Your a big boy/girl, if you signed on the dotted line and then figured out that it isn't what you wanted......tough luck. I don't want to hear about it either. When contract comes up for renewal, back to the ring we go and fights on. You live with the deal you make.

jetbox

you are either an owner or a young pilot that can't get enough flying. $2000 a crew change??? I don't think all my crew changes cost $2000 last year. Lets see, you drive from Edmonton to Fort Nelson or wherever. Gas probably costs maybe 200 bucks at most. The truck, not worth 200 bucks, I fail to see all these high cost crew changes! Now it is possible that you go to Vancouver Island for a few tours a year but even then Westjet tickets are only 300 bucks or so! Don't let your employer fool you and if you are an employer don't be a fool.

VX

West Jet does not fly to Arviat.... :wacko:

V

Don't get me wrong i definetly agree with honouring what you agreed too .... i have my opinion on the tours .... just sharing what i thought and wanted to know what others thought ...... for now i have traded off the type of flying and type of aircraft for a better schedule .... I've payed my gratitude to the same company for 5 years now.

Thank you all again for your input.

"Don't worry Blackmac, forums were not meant to change the world. They are much like AA and Cancer support groups. They simply give you a place to talk about your problems, they surely don't find the cure.

If everyone at least logs out at night thinking good about themselves and what they have said and contributed, that's all that matters, to those who go to bed angry, you need to find another support group."

Found this comment on another topic....interesting that it was promoted there but not so much here. I think for the most part we all just want to know that we aren't alone out here and that maybe someone else might feel the same. Of course on a topic like this people are going to be divided but I find it refreshing that some people out there do want to spend time with their families in this day and age of the drive for the ultimate dollar. :D

jetbox

you are either an owner or a young pilot that can't get enough flying. $2000 a crew change??? I don't think all my crew changes cost $2000 last year. Lets see, you drive from Edmonton to Fort Nelson or wherever. Gas probably costs maybe 200 bucks at most. The truck, not worth 200 bucks, I fail to see all these high cost crew changes! Now it is possible that you go to Vancouver Island for a few tours a year but even then Westjet tickets are only 300 bucks or so! Don't let your employer fool you and if you are an employer don't be a fool.

VX

You are obviously NOT an owner! How much do you think a plane ticket from Edmonton to Fort Nelson costs?? Or to all those small oil towns in Alberta/B.C./Saskatchewan???? It's a lot more than $200 bucks. Maybe your boss makes you drive 12 hours to get to your destination but mine sends me home by plane whenever possible and for that I'm very gratefull. What about the operators that have A/C in the U.S.??? You gonna tell me that's only $200 bucks as well?

Boy, I would love to live in your world!!!!

jetbox, funny you should mention US operations. I've been working down there since July. Yes I realize that tickets down there are more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I do a 2 and 2 shift and love it I'm just trying to figure out why it is such a big deal to get a 2 and 2 for the crews that want it. Not every crew change is going to cost you $2000. The majority of drill work in western canada is right in our back yard. Most of the bag work in canada isn't too far away either. From talking to most of the guys over the years it just seems to me that a good shift is what people want. This in turn keep your family life healthy.

And yes you probably would love to live in my world!!!!

VX