Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I.f.r.

Klipper

20 hrs sim time@ 150 = 3000

15 hours 172 @ 150 p/hr = 2250

5 hours helicopter @ 450 p/hr = 2250

=====

plus ground school, ifr written prep seminars. i'm probably off a little on sim and f/w rates.............

i'd say count on $10,000 if you need to pay for lodging, beer ect as well. should be able to get it done in a month. maybe less with proper planning.

"Also are there any companies out there that will hire you and pay for your IFR rating?"

ummm............. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

there's your ballpark ;)

Hi,

I had the same question so contacted a school and here's what I got bear in mind I have only 230hour on pistons, but I think a reasonably unbiased opinion. Which is rare from a training school.

What you have heard about getting an instrument rating is actually quite sensible. Although we would never turn away anyone who wants to further their skills, frankly, an instrument rating is expensive and the payoff might never materialize. Some employers may be impressed, others may not. You should keep in mind that much of the flying done in helicopters in Canada is VFR, except for specialized work in law enforcement, SAR, offshore, etc. As a low-time pilot, you would rarely, if ever, be given IMC tasks by your employer.

I don't wish to discourage you, however. If honing your skills is what you are after, you will certainly find that any instruction you receive from our CFI is time and money well-spent.

The following is the usual description we give for our instrument rating course. Please note that the numbers listed are for students with no previous instrument time. You probably will not spend nearly this much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument Rating

(for students already holding Canadian CPL-H)

The amount of training required will vary, based on the student’s individual experience levels and other aviation licenses held. The following are Transport Canada's minimum requirements:

50 hours of cross-country flight as pilot-in-command

40 hours of instrument time (max 20 hours instrument ground time)

Pass the flight test in a helicopter.

Pass the written exam (INRAT) with at least 70%.

Students with no previous instrument time will require the following:

20 hours dual instruction on Bell 206 $22,000

20 hours dual instruction in simulator 2,000

36 hours ground school 900

TOTAL .............................................$24,900

that 20 hours flight time does not have to be all helicopter. you can do 15 hours in a plane even if you are unlicenced as the instructor will do the t/o's and ldg's. you are in the plane to learn ifr procedures not how to fly the plane...........

heli-college in langley has an ifr r-22 that goes alot cheaper than a 206......

i did my sim time and f/w with pro-ifr in boundary bay. john montgomery runs a top notch ifr program then i went and flew my 5 hours in langley with lyle watts and did my ride on the r-22.............

The conversion from the Group I is easy, just a ride. No exam required unless your INRAT is expired. (2 years after your last FW PPC expired)

I know four guys who had thier IFR payed for by Canadian this year. Not sure about VIH, and I think CHC Int'l requires you to come with one.

AR

For pilots who have completed the 5 hours under the hood and 5 hours in a sim while getting their commecial pilot licence, those hours count.

That should save a bit of cost.

I took my IFR in January/February 2005 and it cost me Can$ 9000.

This included lodging for the helicopter portion and the fee for the "Aerocourse".

(Aerocourse is a 3 day intense ground school held through out the year in various canadian cities)

In the helicopter world, an IFR rating is probably most usefull when carrying

passengers on a night VFR flight.

Good luck.

CHL are almost always looking for co-pilots so Inst. rating will get you into a S-76 even for relatively low time drivers. I wouldn't spend the $ unless I really wanted to get into IFR. Don't even think of flying single pilot in an unstabilized helicopter IMC (read night) if you don't have all kinds of IMC time, even then it will scare the crap out of you.