Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I.f.r.

Klipper

Heard from many that Pro IFR is the place to go in the west.

Since we got a nice IFR training thread going, thought I'd add a question into the mix...

Now I've been grooming through CARs and found that even though I'm not endorsed on a S-61, I can log time in it as PIC if it's with a rated instructor and the PIC time is noted as Supervised PIC and the company has the Minister's approval etc etc etc... I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

In the big 'ol book of rules does it state that the 50 hours X-country needed prior to starting IFR training be supervised or not? Is "Supervised PIC" time still PIC time... does it matter as far as meeting pre-IFR minimums ? Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Discuss.

Ah bugger.... dug a little deeper into CARs and found the small print. This "PIC under Supervision" only applies to pilots who are gunning for a ATPL and have a minimum of 150 PIC already.

Guess the part about the pilot training up to a ATPL could be very loosely translated as it takes years to get that 1000 hours. Anyone interested though in reading about this tastey sounding "Supervised PIC" can find the goods in CARs under 421.10 Crediting of Flight Time Acquired by a Co-pilot

• 2 weeks later...