Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

204/205 Vertical Ref Door Stc

The issue is a matter of personal preference... There is no right or wrong answer.

I bet you do not wear shoulder straps when you fly left seat. How long do you think you can stay in your seat when the t/r malfunctions.

There is a very good chance that you will be forced into the bubble and not be able to reach your throttles... (205 is a bit easier) but if you are in a 212..you would be hard pressed to roll them both off when the sh*t hits the fan.

I love the left seat...but also like to minimize risk and stack the odds in my favour.

In my case it is not personal preference, although I would choose the left side anyways because you have an opportunity to look behind you as well as below.

The shoulder strap issue is a tough one. It seems many companies do not wish to spend the money to approve a useful shoulder strap for the bubble window so many of us must create our own system and hope it works (and hope Transport doesn't find out).

Since I fly almost exclusively from the left seat the emergency training is done from the left seat. It is very comprehensive and includes T/R failures and jammed pedals, hydraulic failures, engine failures in cruise, in the hover and in a steep climb with high rate of ascent and low airspeed. Much of this is done with your head out the bubble. It would be worthless to me any other way, hence my preference for all flying from the left seat.

I also like to minimize risk and stack the odds in my favour.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case it is not personal preference, although I would choose the left side anyways because you have an opportunity to look behind you as well as below.

The shoulder strap issue is a tough one. It seems many companies do not wish to spend the money to approve a useful shoulder strap for the bubble window so many of us must create our own system and hope it works (and hope Transport doesn't find out).

Since I fly almost exclusively from the left seat the emergency training is done from the left seat. It is very comprehensive and includes T/R failures and jammed pedals, hydraulic failures, engine failures in cruise, in the hover and in a steep climb with high rate of ascent and low airspeed. Much of this is done with your head out the bubble. It would be worthless to me any other way, hence my preference for all flying from the left seat.

I also like to minimize risk and stack the odds in my favour.

I guess that is the beauty of the job...it is our own office and we can all do it how we please. I agree with you that the view behind and below is great from the bubble...but it is not so good on the right side and it is easy to miss things over there when you are hangin out.

My biggest gripe with the industry is that is is accepted to fly with only the lap belt on...I know of one person that is not here any longer that would be had he been wearing shoulder restraints. He was forced into the bubble and not able to roll the throttles off. I guess though if everyone continues to climb in and do it. it will never change. (I am also guilty)

I also have a harness that I use to give me some support in case of a t/r failure and also reduce fatigue.. As far as transport is concerned...they turn a blind eye to the fact that shoulder restraints are not worn by most when perfermorming vr work....how could they possibly violate someone for trying to do something to protect themselves...even if the law says it must be approved...I think in court they would have a hard time winning that one given their neglegence in enforcing the seat belt requirement

It is great that you company does your training from the left..do you do a ppc from that seat? I know that if you do not have the stc to fly only from that side that your ride must happen from the right. Obviously you are training for reality.

I still stand by my view though that the right seat is a better place to be when not on the line.

Safe Aviatin

Plink

Plinko, have you seen or tried that new LH Alpine Aerotech VR seat mod? I was over at the Hangar yesterday and Doug was flying it. Rumor is...it is comfortable and it works.

Hey,. how come you have so much free time to post here? I thought you were one of those hard working Pool guys flying steady 7's? :D:D

407 D

I went out last fall with the first mock up...there was 4 of us...I actually liked it a lot. I have not seen the latest version..I wil ask the cheese when I am back there. They are definitely on to something...very comfy and extremely supportive!

As for free time.. waitin for group #1 to get to the pad!

Come up for a Pepsi and dinner... We are havin chicken tonight!

Plink

Vertical Ref;

I see somebody beat me to my response. That is the main reason the Jettisionable doors are there, for float ops. The floats tend to wrap up the side of the aircraft if things go wrong, trapping the crew members inside.

However, I was not trying to tell you or anybody to use them or not. My point was that I have noticed many of the STCs are hard wired and pilots should be aware whether or not there is a quick release installed. It is not up to me to tell the crew whether or not for any given reason, they should jettison the doors. The point being, that if for some reason a crew member had to jettison and expected the door to fall clear, they would be surprized to see it hanging there by a wire harness.

Pretty typical of this business to find out too late that something is not the way it should be.

Regards

carholme

It is great that you company does your training from the left..do you do a ppc from that seat? I know that if you do not have the stc to fly only from that side that your ride must happen from the right. Obviously you are training for reality.

I still stand by my view though that the right seat is a better place to be when not on the line.

Safe Aviatin

Plink

We do our training and PPC from the left. I do know that flying from the left leaves a huge blind side on the right. I don't feel it is worth it to risk landing anywhere with less than 50ft extra clearance plus we do have 2 crew so there is an extra set of eyes - if you can trust them.

I appreciate you feel better flying from the right if you spend a significant amout of time there. I do not and would feel more of a risk if I did.

Cheers

Jim

Vertical Ref; What approval for the vert ref do you know has been changed by the operator?

the ones I know of the are approved are

Eagle/dart/Bow

Kenting

CHC

How does one check what other ones are appoved in Canada?

I don't think a operator can change a FMS for a approval they do not hold the right to but it has happened before!