Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

European Ame Licence

Lunchbox

Lunchbox,

Are you already so burnt out you feel the need to escape to a foreign land?

You just want to have long lunches with wine and chocolate! :up:

Have fun! :punk:

Mr. amodao,

You sound jealous of my plans for escape! :P

Nothing wrong with wine and choclate lunches with Swiss ski-bunnies. :punk: Sure beats deep-fried-fat camp dinners with hairy rig-pigs. :down:

• 4 months later...

Tell you what - you can have my EASA B1.3, 212 & 61 type, 365 to follow, and restricted B2 if I can have your TC licence. Then we can swap, you can have the hole that is europe and I'll take Canada.

Who says EASA licensing is complicated - even the UK CAA don't understand it!

Tell you what - you can have my EASA B1.3, 212 & 61 type, 365 to follow, and restricted B2 if I can have your TC licence. Then we can swap, you can have the hole that is europe and I'll take Canada.

Who says EASA licensing is complicated - even the UK CAA don't understand it!

Can you explain anything about EASA licencing (constructively) to at least get me started in the right direction?

OK Lunchbox, all kidding aside.

The best bet is to look at

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=177&pagetype=68

This is the UK take on the EASA licence (you are looking at the part 66 info).

The B1 is airframes & engines, B2 is avionics although a lot of power generation & distribution is now in the remit of the B1 engineer.

Any authorised european country can issue an EASA licence and it is recognised in all the other countries, but there is a perception that some are better than others (with the Brit being the best of course :up: ). I would recommend you look at going through the UK unless you are fluent in another european language.

It is not an easy process, unfortunately, as there was a lot of inter country bickering trying to set it all up and it seems that everybody wanted the worst they had to offer incorporated.

As to exemptions due to your TC AME, I don't think you will get any but don't quote me on that. They will probably accept your experience but will still expect you to sit a lot of the exams - unfair I know but thats what happens when you put european bearaucrats in the same room.

Feel free to drop a line to the CAA ("contact details" link on left off page) asking for help - they are actually nice guys and will usually help as much as possible.

I hope this is useful to you, there is a chronic shortage of AME's here so you could get a job most places, but I can't see why you would want to. (Please bear in mind I want to leave and move to Canada so am somewhat biased.)

All the best whichever way you go and ask away if I can help some more.

Peace :punk:

I appreciate the tips, Wayne.

I don't see anything unusual about them accepting experience but wanting me to write exams. It's the same practice here, so I expected something similar. At the very very least, I would expect them to want me to write the regs exam and maybe put in a bit of time.

So theoretically, I could write my exams in the UK and get all the paperwork sorted out there, and my new licence would be recognized anywhere in the EU or is EASA membership seperate from the EU? Is Switzerland still an exception to all that?

I'm sure we both have naive views of the other's industry. Swatting giant mosquitoes in the summer and freezing my balls off in the winter isn't something I want to do for the rest of my career. If I can trade the mosquitoes and -40C for a bit of extra red-tape, I'll consider myself to be ahead! :lol:

Again, thanks for the tips. :up:

Just to say I am not an expert on things Swiss (even the ski bunnies) but I think they try to have the best of both worlds.

I believe they follow the EASA regulations and recognise the licences but also have kept their own system. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about the Swiss system can let you know on that one.

But this might help

http://www.aviation.admin.ch/index.html?lang=en

All confusing - head hurts - Im off to bed! :wacko: