Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vfr Requirements During Heliski?

ws2000

I'm a fixed wing pilot who's finally fulfilling the dream @ Wiegele's this winter... was curious about wx and such.

Basically curious what sort of VFR limits they'll follow. As I recall from ground school, I think heli VFR limits are lower than fixed wing?

Would Wiegele have an IFR approach to get in or out of the soup @ their base?

Like every other paying customer, I want the most vert possible, and figured who else would know better than the guy(or girl) driving the bird? :)

Helicopter VFR = 1/2 mile ... straight and simple.

IFR ? ? I follow road / rail / river / racoon, whatever it takes !

You'll find the aircraft VFR only, It's all about the weight ! the only navaid onboard will probably be one GPS, plus Weiggle would never allow fuel to destination, hence to alternate, plus 45 (or whatever it is that those big scary planks run with ?) :D

407 D is correct, One cannot fly into B.R. IFR. If it is nice they can come up the valley VFR.

As for the helicopters, I flew there last season and it's 1/2 mile as previousely stated. There is a lead pilot who makes the call in the morning as to whether we all " launch" Very nice organised way to do things. You will have a blast! :up:

worked there as an engineer a number years ago.

thats the way i saw it too. if the weather was marginal. the lead guy would make a flight up and down the valley. there are also a number of landing points to hold up and radio contact with the base as well for weather that may be coming in.

I had a great time there. all got along great.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

1/2 mile seems pretty reasonable.

For those that have flown/worked there... on a 7 day trip, what's a reasonable expectation for days down due to wx?

I'm assuming it's guide and pilot up front? I'd love to be able to take a ride up front... :D

Guest Camel Jockey

I spent a few seasons at Weigele World and down days varied from year to year. If I had to guess I would say the average was one but could get as high as 3-4 on a bad week. When I was there I seem to recall NMH having a 1 mile limit so if we couldn't see the trees at the end of the runway by the lodge we didn't launch. If it was marginal "The Phantom" would "launch the probe" and then determine whether it was suitable or not. We had nine machines working there at the time so the weather had to be decent in more than one area so we didn't all get bunched up in the same spot.

As for riding up front........ maybe if you call it quits early and are going out to the highway on a fuel run but never during normal ops. It's always a guide in the left seat checking out the next run.

• 4 weeks later...

Got 7 days of flyable wx in. Great trip overall. Only saw the sun (skied the Alpine) one day, the rest were overcast.

There seemed to be some days where the wx call seemed "marginal" Call me a skeptic, but I got the impression that the birds were grounded to save some $$?

The reported vertical skied also seemed to differ quite a bit from the Altimeter too. Any comments on that from past or present alumni?

No ride up front for me. The 2nd controls weren't installed anyway :(

The Blue River altimeter is an amazing piece of equipment.As for the NMH Quote We never had the 1 mile limit.I can remember lots of days coming under the power lines on the way home.As for the weather checks they work fine until Mike changes his mind and decides he should check the Weather himself even as the PM is doing the job.I am so glad I do not have to fly there ever again.I WOULD GO ON WELFARE FIRST.

There seemed to be some days where the wx call seemed "marginal" Call me a skeptic, but I got the impression that the birds were grounded to save some $$?

Nobody saves money when the birds are grounded!

Here's a little piece of advice: when a pilot tells you it's a no go because the weather is crap, it's because the weather is crap. It may not look like it but this pilot is making a judgement call designed to save his life and yours! Respect it and absolutely never second guess it!