Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sun Glasses?

kevin

Just to note Serengeties are polarized. B)

Since about 1987 I've had two different pairs of Serengetis and neither have been polarized. Some aircraft windshields are polarized, makes it really tough to see outside if you tilt your head just the right way. :D

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

Now if they would only make the windshield out of the same material and colour...

RH

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some Serengetis that are polarized...

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/technology/polarization.cfm

"When normal, parallel rays of light bounce off surfaces like windshields, windows, water or ice, they create random light waves. These reflected light waves produce glare that irritates your eyes. Working like microscopic Venetian blinds, the polarized filters in Serengeti's Strata® (555NM Polarized and Drivers Polarized) lenses “organize” the light, eliminating glare and reducing eye fatigue."

RH

I wear Nike. They have interchangable lenses so depending on the day you can put in a red, amber or dark. The amber is great for low overcast or snowy days.

I also have Rayban which are great and I will second Bladestrikes comments about the Randolphs, I have ahad a pair for years and only wore them a couple of times because I too find the bayonet arms very uncomfortable

Maui jims are the best by a loong shot over most others!!

I bought some recently and they are awesome, th new lenses that tint in bright light and dim in darker light they also take the 'squint effect out of your eyes by doing it for you..(dont ask me how but it has something to do with the new lenses) and the best thing is the 48 hr returned to you gaurentee if something fails.....thats something you WONT get with serenghetti!

.... and the best thing is the 48 hr returned to you gaurentee if something fails.....thats something you WONT get with serenghetti!

That's for sure, I had to wait almost seven weeks for my prescription change. Worth the wait though, but marginally worth the huge cost.

RH

Now forgive me if I am wrong, but, dont polarized glasses make it a little tough to see water surfaces? Being when I wear my polarized lenses fishing you dont see the water but you see the fish just fine. Hmm is this a good idea when flying around water? I found with the helment as mentioned earlier had the best results. But what do I know with my 110 hrs.

I spent years wearing Oakleys for skiing and mountain biking, and found that they make a great lens. About a year ago, I bought a pair of Serengetis, and it's a big step up. Glass lenses, photochromic tint, and the best optical quality that I've seen yet.

I've also heard great things about Maui Jim's, but everything they make is polarized. I've never flown with polarized lenses, but I've seen first-hand the problems that can happen when you try to read an LCD instrument with polarized lenses on. A first-rate non-polarized lens will give you 95% of the relief from eye strain that a polarized lens will.

I've also got a pair of Briko's for low contrast days (overcast/haze/snow/fog) They're a bright red lens, which seems odd, but they provide better definition and depth perception in flat light. Serengeti also makes a similar lens, but they don't make it in a frame that fits my face (which is why I bought the Brikos)

Bottom line is take your headset or helmet to the optician's when you go shopping. Put the glasses on, and then put on the headset. See if the earcups seal, and see if the arms of the glasses dig in. And don't be afraid to spend a pile of money - you only get one set of eyes!

Now forgive me if I am wrong, but, dont polarized glasses make it a little tough to see water surfaces? Being when I wear my polarized lenses fishing you dont see the water but you see the fish just fine. Hmm is this a good idea when flying around water? I found with the helment as mentioned earlier had the best results. But what do I know with my 110 hrs.

They only reduce the glare...you can still see the water surface. :huh:

As far as aircraft with polarized windows.....perhaps some fixed wing but the only helicopters I know of are some tour birds retrofitted in Hawaii, and that's the side windows for pax comfort. Anyone know of any others?

Now I can make the GPS display fade considerably by rotating the glasses 90 degrees to the horizontal, but I don't spend a great deal of time flying in that position. :unsure: If you fly in the same aircraft all the time, see if you can borrow some polarized glasses and see what the results are for yourself. I wouldn't wear them if I couldn't determine beforehand that they didn't compromise safety. I do find them easier on the eyes.