Sun Glasses?

kevin

Excellent point, bladestrike.

For folks that always fly in the same aircraft, and are aware of the problem (albiet a small problem) inherent in a polarized lens, I see no problem. But for someone asking basic questions about sunglasses, they should at the very least be made aware of the issue.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan ----wqant to ease the pain on the wallet for aviator Serengetti's?...........try CostCo. You'll find them on sale there quite often for $76.00.

Bladestrike -------- the Dauphin has polarized sunshades like autos that you can flip down in the same manner and work ideally. Many times on a sunny day you don't even have to wear "shades" as a result when using them and flying forward. Of course that whole a/c has some real neat innovations that just put smiles on the faces of pilots and engineers.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I wore polarized sunglasses all summer on fires looking through the floor of an Astar and had no problems making out the waters surface and thats from a 130'.I have worked with Dyna Nav and Kodiak screens and many different brands of gps and have had no problems seeing the screens.So don't let anyone scare you away from using them.......... B)

I have a pair of Flexon Nike frames with polarized, high contrast brown-tint, Crizal prescription lenses.

I have been using them for about 5 years and absolutely love the tint and the polarizing. (have never had a problem with the windows in helicopters, but my shoei bike helmet visor gets those funny colors when I use the sunglasses).

If you work in snow covered white-out conditions the polarizing really helps, especially long-lining.

The biggest reason I couldn't stand to use the helmet visor after getting these sunglasses was the anti-reflective coating on the Crizal lenses. Once you are used to that, it's hard to stare at your own eyeballs in those cheap visors. But I tend to just wear a ball-cap and headset to fly these days, just for comfort.

It's interesting that you should mention those glasses, JetB. If they're the same ones you were always using when we worked together in High Prairie, I recently bought two pairs of precription sunglasses (one grey tint, one rose tint) with very similar frames. My idea was to have something witha good lens on hand that I could wear on days that I didn't have contacts in. Those rimless frames with wire arms are so light that you forget that they're there.

So far I'm loving them, but I still love my Serengettis because of the photochromic lens and the excellent coverage.